Nevadans?

Years ago someone gave me a book on photography. I learned a lot from it - it definitely improved my photos! Back then I was using a "film" SLR, too. But my digital has made me lazy and I haven't tried any tricks with it.
sad.png
I'm sure you can find one on Amazon!

Hey look - we're approaching the 6,000th post already! Is it time for the countdown to start again?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Dirtgirl is just an easy to remember handle that suits me Sunnydawn. I do a little bit of gardening and usta ride the dirtbikes in my younger days.

I wish we had a Reno sub forum for WTB/WTS. Looking for more female khaki campbells plz.

I hope to get a little bantam silky for my girl too. Hopefully later this Fall at the Poultry show in November.

Dirtgirl

Quote:
I took photography in high school and really enjoyed it. We learned with black and white film. even processed the film and made prints. The basic principles of composition still apply with digital of course. there are some good websites. I will get back to you with some. I scrapbook digitally now and photograph with my scrapbooks in mind a lot now. I love landscape and nature photography. We have camped a lot in state and national parks so I have taken tons of photos there. Now vacationing with kids, I don't have quite the time I would like to photograph a location but oh well.

I would suggest you learn some of the basic composition principles-- like rule of thirds, framing, etc. and work on those. if you have a camera that allows for some manual adjustments--switch to manual or partially manual and learn about depth of field. By adjusting the aperture and shutter speed, you change how the photo looks--what's in focus and what's blurred. ok, now i need to get batteries for my film SLR so I can take some better shots!

Elizabeth

Lacey I love that pic! You should submit it for the calendar. I'm a photographer although I've been lax lately in taking photos much less uploading to the stock photo sites. I really need to set some quality time for that. That is why I don't post my best shots here. If you post them to a forum you can't sell them. Daegorn is a more serious photographer than I am. That's probably who you're thinking of. You should get a book on photography like Ron suggested, there are all kinds of cool tricks on how to take better photos with a point and shoot camera.
And on the issue of an incubator you can look on-line under "homemade incubator" and get a ton of cheap ideas on there. I personally don't like the still air incubators, they get hot spots, but the first one I made was a still air made from 2 cardboard boxes (a small one inside of a big one with a bunch of newspaper layers between them) and I got a 70% hatch from that one. The problem with those is they are a one time use project. A lot of work for a disposable bator.
hmm.png

Hey Yakima! Haven't seen you on here in ages. How are you feeling?

Dirtgirl you sound like me. Well the gardening and dirt bike part. Have you tried posting a new thread here on BYC for the khaki campbells you are looking for? Haven't tried that myself but maybe someone will see a post from you and be able to help.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
An extremely nice chickenlady told me on the previous page to just make the time to do this and I agree with her. I'm going to take a lot of time off this winter since I'm not planning on going anywhere once I get back from Florida!

celebrate.gif

Quote:
enjoy your florida trip and time off later in the winter! I also get 5 weeks, plus furlough days and I've built up the max of sick leave. I've been taking days off here and there during the summer to paint the house and visit with family when they came. No one does my job for me when I'm gone so sometimes I have to work a little harder on the days when I'm back but I agree it's still good to take those days completely off once in awhile.

Elizabeth

Quote:
enjoy your florida trip and time off later in the winter! I also get 5 weeks, plus furlough days and I've built up the max of sick leave. I've been taking days off here and there during the summer to paint the house and visit with family when they came. No one does my job for me when I'm gone so sometimes I have to work a little harder on the days when I'm back but I agree it's still good to take those days completely off once in awhile.

Elizabeth

I know how you feel, when I was working in the marketing department I had to do everything before I left, show people what to do while I was gone and finish the work when I got back all without OT and let me tell you that was very hard to do. Everyone always told me I was not allowed to take time off because of the strain it put them in. Now that I'm in a new department and there are a lot of us I finding out that it's actually okay for me to take the time as needed and I'm really thinking of taking an extra day off every week or every other week but if I do every other week then I won't get anywhere because I get earn a 1 day off every other week. I'll figure it out though!

Oh and Welcome to the newbies and the not newbies to the Nevada thread. I wasn't being rude I'm working at the same time as typing on here!

Quote:
An extremely nice chickenlady told me on the previous page to just make the time to do this and I agree with her. I'm going to take a lot of time off this winter since I'm not planning on going anywhere once I get back from Florida!
celebrate.gif

Yeah! Good for you! Yes Heather is a very nice chicken lady! I wish she lived closer. You would enjoy meeting her Sheryl!
smile.png

Heather I am moving out of that house in NW Reno so if you want to take some Catalpa trees... Genny took a couple and they have little tiny leaves appearing now. Don't know how they will handle the cold up here in Red Rock though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom