Never Hatched Before. Help?

Cargbrock

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
West Tennessee
My mom and I put some Polish, Sexlink, New Hampshire, Rock, and Silkie eggs in an incubator last month.
This morning we heard a pip.
We're not sure which one it is, but my mom thinks it's a Silkie because we know it's not a Polish and so far, most of the other eggs have been double and triple yokers. We know that it's either going to be a pure Silkie or one of the others crossed with a Polish.
Now, my problem is:
My mom has left for work... I've never hatched a chick before. What do I do? How long does it take for the chick to hatch? How should I prepare? How long should I leave it in the incubator after it hatches? When should I start handling it?
My mom didn't tell me because she had no hope that they'd hatch because, recently, we haven't heard of people having any luck and this is our first time... Plus, the very first week, the heat got a couple degrees higher than it should have been... Will that cause any problems?
What should I do if the chick hatches and something's wrong with it?

First Congratulations
hugs.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
!!!! Second take a deep breath and try not to worry! Most of the time they hatch all by themselves! They can stay in the incubator for around and up to two or three days because they have their yolk sak to keep them fed. When is your Mom coming home? Today? You should be fine just watching and enjoying the veiw! Congratulations again a precious little fuzzy
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Yes, she should be coming home later today.
I'm all nervous and excited... We didn't put the eggs in any particular order, so I'm waiting to be surprised.

What you need to do - keep out of the bator and grab your camera to take pictures! Congrats on your new little one and hope you have a few more
smile.png

Here's my newest babies that hatched last night.
My silky and my orpington
smile.png

97463_silkie_001.jpg
97463_silkie_006.jpg

I agree with the other posts. Relax and take a few deep breaths. All will be fine. If you heard a peep then the chick has internally pipped the egg. Do you see any pip holes in any of the eggs?
IMG_2610.jpg

When am I supposed to put food and water in there? One is about 1/4 of the way out of the shell and another has started to make a hole... My mom said we still had some starter feed, but I have NO idea where it is.

Back
Top Bottom