Never killed a chicken before....

74487_img_0955.jpg

The MAYBE unlucky chicken......

Are the kids really attatched to this roo, really attentive to his needs & responsible for his care? Or do they just like the "idea" of him. It can be traumatic for some kids to have a pet served for dinner, other kids really don't mind. You'll have to figure out how your own kids would feel about this roo.

If they're really not that attatched to him, you could send him off to one of Mister's pal's houses some night, and see how long it takes the kids to notice that he's gone. Perhaps the guys could do the processing at someone else's place, even cook him up & serve him over there, the kids never need to know or partake.

But if they really do love that roo, you may have to keep him in his own cage and make the kids take full responsibility for his care. He might make a good "spare" roo for your flock. I had a white JG once, he had a voice like Barry White, I loved to hear that baritone crow. He was also big & beefy and would have made quite a great meal...

If you & your family are getting interested in processing your own chickens you may want to get some with the intention of raising them only for that purpose. You can get chicks bred for fast growth, or get regular breeds, or be the happy recipient of other people's unwanted cockerels.

Let us know what you decide!

Good idea sunny side
smile.png
I like the idea of "hiding" him to see if they realize hes gone. We lost a bird not so long ago and they havnt noticed shes gone yet, so maybe that will work. He looks really tasty tho, getting hard to resist. We are going to be looking into a farm in the future to do the chicken thing on a larger scale, I will def not be getting attached!

Back
Top Bottom