New 10 month old Rooster ill after transport

So if this is a disease, which it sounds like everyone feels pretty sure it is, then even if he gets better he is a carrier right? Which means I should not introduce him to my flock/breeders since I am intending to begin breeding for sale next year. Correct? If I added him to the flock then he could pass it to everyone else and endanger everyone right?

So if this is a disease, which it sounds like everyone feels pretty sure it is, then even if he gets better he is a carrier right? Which means I should not introduce him to my flock/breeders since I am intending to begin breeding for sale next year. Correct? If I added him to the flock then he could pass it to everyone else and endanger everyone right?
As far as I know, you are correct. Now, some of the birds in your flock could be more resistant to the disease, but I wouldn't take the chance of introducing him.

If he smells it does sound like Coryza. I was shipped sick juvies who had it when I took them out of the box late this winter and have been through it. As the chicks were also in with him they may now be carriers as well. Hopefully the chicks are in quarintine. You should know in a few days if he passed it to the chicks. I would dust the chicks too if you haven't already. Good luck!
I still can't tell where the smell is coming from :/ The chicks are in quarantine now, which means I need to build another brooder because I have a bunch more chicks due soon.

But then I'd risk some chicks being carriers and sending people sick birds without knowing it right?
sad.png
I am afraid I am going to have to cull him :'(

Sounds right. It's not worth the chance of your entire flock coming down with it. I hate to say it but if you mixed her chicks in with yours, then plucked hers back out for quarintine you need to quarintine the whole group, including yours. Yours have now potentially been exposed. Always handle sick or potentially sick birds last. Ideally change your clothes, bleach the soles of your shoes and take a shower immediately after handling sick/potentially sick birds.

Sounds right. It's not worth the chance of your entire flock coming down with it. I hate to say it but if you mixed her chicks in with yours, then plucked hers back out for quarintine you need to quarintine the whole group, including yours. Yours have now potentially been exposed. Always handle sick or potentially sick birds last. Ideally change your clothes, bleach the soles of your shoes and take a shower immediately after handling sick/potentially sick birds.
I am hopeful the day old chicks are OK... They were in the same XL carrier on the way home but the chicks were in a cardboard box inside the carrier. So I think the odds of contact are at least slim... I hope. They were in the brooder first and then I had 3 Barred Rocks hatch later that night and added them to the brooder. This was before I knew the rooster was ill. Since they have been together since that day I saw no point in separating them now a few days later. They have either been exposed or they haven't. BUT the scary one is the one older chick that was too big for the brooder and went to the grow out pen. She had never been exposed to anything but the other chicks except for the 20 minute ride home... but that could have done it. I have not stepped into any areas with the birds as they are all isolated pens and are not walk in style pens - more like cages. But the grow out area is in the same run that others use. So.... the damage is either done already or it isn't. I do wash hands but I will try changing clothes etc too. I really need to build a separate coop in another part of the yard - maybe the goat pen. That way I can quarantine birds way far away from the rest of the flock. UGH! :he

I am hopeful the day old chicks are OK... They were in the same XL carrier on the way home but the chicks were in a cardboard box inside the carrier. So I think the odds of contact are at least slim... I hope. They were in the brooder first and then I had 3 Barred Rocks hatch later that night and added them to the brooder. This was before I knew the rooster was ill. Since they have been together since that day I saw no point in separating them now a few days later. They have either been exposed or they haven't. BUT the scary one is the one older chick that was too big for the brooder and went to the grow out pen. She had never been exposed to anything but the other chicks except for the 20 minute ride home... but that could have done it. I have not stepped into any areas with the birds as they are all isolated pens and are not walk in style pens - more like cages. But the grow out area is in the same run that others use. So.... the damage is either done already or it isn't. I do wash hands but I will try changing clothes etc too. I really need to build a separate coop in another part of the yard - maybe the goat pen. That way I can quarantine birds way far away from the rest of the flock. UGH!
he.gif
I am so sorry you are going through this.

Its a tough lesson on biosecurity and the need to quarantine.

Coryza is droplet spread - same a a cold in humans. If you put 4 people in a car with a person who has the cold virus.....................

Here is hoping.

Back
Top Bottom