Quailberries

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Southern WI
Hi! My situation is a little complicated right now but here's the gist of it-
  • Three EE hens
  • A 10-week-old Australorp pullet
  • A 10-week-old BO cockerel
We've been raising the groups in two separate coops and allowing the adults to free range, and recently we've been attempting to get the groups to mingle. As I said, ATTEMPTING. As soon as our roo is granted permission, he bolts to the hens and starts trying to fight with all three of them at once- I've been breaking up these fights early, but I can definitely say that he has never come even the slightest bit close to winning one. None of our birds have shown injuries, but, as I said, I've been interfering.

It should be said that the only reason we currently own this rooster is as a companion for our sweet little australorp pullet. We have a nice home for him who is going to pick him up sometime in the next coming weeks, so there won't be any problems with excessive mating and such. Still, I want the australorp to be acquainted with the adult flock before her own flock mate leaves. The hens have given the pullet a couple small warning pecks and generally accept her, but the cockerel... the hens turn our backyard becomes a war zone, we'll just go with that.

Thank you guys, hope this is enough info <3

the young male is doing what comes naturally, and the mature hens are putting him in his place, naturally. He will almost certainly be incapable of successful breeding at his age, just violent fumbling, which 'advances' the hens obviously will reject. Either keep them separate until the cockerel is collected, or let the hens discipline him and then there's a chance he'd grow up to be a decent roo. I don't think anything else will work. If you opt for the latter, have plenty of clutter around and no dead ends, so the pursued can run and get away from the pursuer. Good luck.

Hi! My situation is a little complicated right now but here's the gist of it-
  • Three EE hens
  • A 10-week-old Australorp pullet
  • A 10-week-old BO cockerel
We've been raising the groups in two separate coops and allowing the adults to free range, and recently we've been attempting to get the groups to mingle. As I said, ATTEMPTING. As soon as our roo is granted permission, he bolts to the hens and starts trying to fight with all three of them at once- I've been breaking up these fights early, but I can definitely say that he has never come even the slightest bit close to winning one. None of our birds have shown injuries, but, as I said, I've been interfering.

It should be said that the only reason we currently own this rooster is as a companion for our sweet little australorp pullet. We have a nice home for him who is going to pick him up sometime in the next coming weeks, so there won't be any problems with excessive mating and such. Still, I want the australorp to be acquainted with the adult flock before her own flock mate leaves. The hens have given the pullet a couple small warning pecks and generally accept her, but the cockerel... the hens turn our backyard becomes a war zone, we'll just go with that.

Thank you guys, hope this is enough info <3
So long as there is no blood, excessive pecking, pinning down, loss of appetite, I would let them work out the pecking order. The cockerel may be maturing a little early and trying to claim some hens, and is practicing his mating rituals. I had to rehome a 12 week old rooster because he was doing this to all of my hens and roosters. You may have to separate him, and keep him by himself or with any bachelor roosters you may have, away from sight of the hens.

Back
Top Bottom