New 19 week old pullets - signs of stress/not using roosts?

Pics
Indeed it is.
I agree with chickens needing animal protein...but wonder how much is really in there, what the source is, and how it may affect shelf life??

I like their CYA:
"Feed Purina® Layena®+ Free Range Layer Feed free-choice as the sole ration to laying chickens after 18 weeks of age and throughout the laying cycle. It is not necessary to provide additional grain or a freechoice calcium source. Layer feeds should not be fed to male birds of any age or to birds less than 18 weeks old. Provide fresh clean water at all times."
The source is black soldier fly larva, which are also a natural source of calcium (interestingly enough). I’m not sure why it would affect shelf life.

No layer feed should be fed to a male bird, in theory. I thought the OP only had females.
In any case, I’m just excited about the concept and wanting to share the word. I don’t expect anyone to run down to the store in their slippers to pick up a bag. :lol:

That is a beautiful coop and it just might be me but those look like happy chickens to me. Very content. Maybe a little immature to expect eggs yet especially if they are not getting supplemental light this time of year and farther north. if eggs are a concern look into supplemental lighting if not trust they seem happy and will be fine.

I received seven 19 week old ready to lay pullets a week ago Friday. Their coop was not ready so i kept them in a temporary non secured cage until last night when they were moved to their new secure coop. I wrapped the temporary cage with tarps each night to help deter predators, I also worried every night until they were moved.

A couple of questions:

1. A person at the store that supplied the pullets maintains that they would be stressed and would take some time to adjust, longer if they were subjected to multiple changes. She said it could be "up to a year" before they would lay.

We are complete novices so have no experience to guide. @jthornton suggested giving them things to keep them occupied; we have done so: treats (fern leaves, fruits, etc.) multiple times per day; a roost bar with ramp on day two; a dust bath (gravel and ash) a couple of days later. We also feed them morning and night and use the opportunity to touch them, talk to them... After a few days they would come to the end of the cage we approached and wait expectantly for whatever we had to offer. After we moved them to the new coop their behaviors did not seem to change, no sign of apprehension/fear, anxious to see what we have brought them, crowding to the opening at the front when we approach, soft cooing (?), occasional clucks.

We think they are fine and adapting well but do not know what the signs of a stressing bird are.

2. They are not using the roosts I have provided rather stay on the floor and either scratch and fling bits about or settle down into the straw looking like they are nesting or at night cluster together in one front corner.

Normal? How do we train them to use the roost (go in after dark and lift/place them on the roost bars)?

Thoughts and input greatly appreciated.
What kind of roosts are they? I have always used 2x4, mounted on the "flat" side - was told some years ago that chickens aren't like raptors, they don't "grip" and prefer a flatter surface. Has always worked for me, but I will say I have resorted to Roost Training a couple of times with younger chicks. Also, our weathers are pretty cold, if that's the case with you, do NOT use metal rods, they can get downright cold enough to freeze their little toes. Plus they're round, see above. Hope this helps.

Four ladies laying:

I was away this morning on other work projects and came back to a smiling sister with a fourth egg of the day clutched in her hand. Now four out of seven laying within 15 days of their arrival. Methinks we have a happy crew!

Mix of Fast Layers 009.JPG

What kind of roosts are they? I have always used 2x4, mounted on the "flat" side - was told some years ago that chickens aren't like raptors, they don't "grip" and prefer a flatter surface. Has always worked for me, but I will say I have resorted to Roost Training a couple of times with younger chicks. Also, our weathers are pretty cold, if that's the case with you, do NOT use metal rods, they can get downright cold enough to freeze their little toes. Plus they're round, see above. Hope this helps.

I planed the rough cut 2" by 3" and rounded the edges with a router, installed on the wide side, seems to work very well.

Do you rent out apartments in that coop? One of the nicest ones I have seen. Don't listen to the store clerk. They are def batty. Not all my birds use the roost. But I do see that they like different widths to sit on. They seem to prefer wider boards to sit on rather than narrow ones or perches.
Yes, I noticed they preferred 2x6 instead of 2x4 or 2x2's. Our 1 silkie prefers a straw bale.

Back
Top Bottom