New 19 week old pullets - signs of stress/not using roosts?

Try washing it off...at first glance it looks like urates, but could be excessive bloom or calcium. Closer pic, well lit and in focus, might help.

White egg close up 1.jpg

Incubation Progress

We are on day 18 of the incubation of the 17 eggs sister brought from BC. Our attempts at candling have not worked so still (and always) in learning mode.

Lock down process underway as I write...

Update from 9:55pm

Sister, BIL and a friend have cracked the candling method - light from an Iphone shone sideways through the eggs clearly shows air sac and dark shape. Friend and sister claim to have heard a chirping from one egg???

Update at 10:02pm:

We have the first egg that a chick is breaking the shell trying to emerge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Pictures 1st per @Texas Kiki request. I put 2-3" of fresh pine mulch on the floor and then a bale of straw that we let the ladies spread about. The 1st pic show shows mulch going in and their 2 roost boards (natural wood at the back), the 3rd last pic shows their ramp on left.

View attachment 1914571 View attachment 1914572 View attachment 1914573 View attachment 1914574 View attachment 1914575 View attachment 1914576 View attachment 1914577 View attachment 1914580
That's a beautiful coop! Great job. They will be fine. My 22 week old Cochins still don't use their beautiful roosts my husband made. They still cram together in a few boxes!

Update 7:03am The white rinsed off with just a brush of my fingers.
Urates.

Status of hatch this morning. @aart How long do chicks take to break out?
Could be up to 24 hours. As long as you can see beak is clear and moving, you'll just have to wait.

Here's some reading material to help the hours pass :) :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Pictures 1st per @Texas Kiki request. I put 2-3" of fresh pine mulch on the floor and then a bale of straw that we let the ladies spread about. The 1st pic show shows mulch going in and their 2 roost boards (natural wood at the back), the 3rd last pic shows their ramp on left.

View attachment 1914571 View attachment 1914572 View attachment 1914573 View attachment 1914574 View attachment 1914575 View attachment 1914576 View attachment 1914577 View attachment 1914580
Wow; that coop looks cozy enough for me to sleep in!

Ted, you've got an open air coop! You will have very happy chickens. I built an open air coop a couple years ago. In NH and winters get cold but my hens are happy and thriving. My coop is a bit more simpler than yours. I put glass in the side windows when the weather turns cold and a burlap curtain over 2/3 bottom front windows. Have fun with your chickens!

Hatch Update:

First chick broke free about 10am this morning now drying making every effort to stand and chirping away (if one chick makes this much noise it will be noisy as more of the rest burst forth). Sister and friend have documented every step with both pictures and videos, have not seen any of them as the process continues and they are glued to the side of the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom