New additions! Checking their breeds.

geckolas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Tampa, FL
I couldn't resist this $20 beauty from Craigslist. He said she was a Bantam Game. Does that mean Old English Game hen?

And than these three I got from a very smelly home (reminded me of a puppy mill). I really hope they aren't sick. But they are really sweet and already come running towards me when I go near the coop. Maybe they are just scared of the other hens.

Anyways the seller said it was a Mille Fleur, a Barred Rock, and an Australorp. Just wanted to see what you thought.

first looks like a butter cup the chicks look right except the australorp those are soild black and the barred rock should have yellow legs and no red in its head fluff

Last edited:
Mille fleur is a color and several breeds have it as a variety. What you appear to have is a mille fleur D'Uccle. The first pullet looks to be a Sicilian Buttercup. And I think your "Australorp" is a mix since Australorps should be solid black. I can't tell enough from the pic to suggest another breed at this point. I also agree that the little barred chick looks to be a roo at this point.

Thanks for getting specific!
Is the red head the reason you think the barred rock is a roo? Is that only a characteristic of a black sex-link chick or could it just be a mix breed? Just wondered?

No...other reasons for the barred one being a roo, are the way the feathers are coming in slowly ,the upright stance, and the very light barring (females are darker)...I also believe it is a black sex link and not a barred rock because of the color of the legs/fuzz and as he matures he will get other colors bleeding through the black and white barring. Honestly, I thing BSL roos are the prettiest roos there are.

Back
Top Bottom