New additions what are they crossed with!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarjaysar, Jan 6, 2012.

1. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    Would be great to know your thoughts on what these hens are - they appear to be all heinz variety so crosses. They have all only started laying eggs about 6 weeks ago. I'd put them at around 30 weeks old - my black rocks in the background are old girls now - all around 5 or 6, so i'm starting to introduce younger hens into the flock.

This one lays pale eggs - It is whiter in colour than the photos and VERY big...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one lays light green eggs and is more grey in colour than the photos. Quite a wide hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one lays brown eggs and is generally a large stocky hen!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    They are all mixed it looks like.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They all three look like chickens I got from my Speckled Sussex/Delaware/Black Orpington crosses. Yes, they can vary that much when they are crosses of crosses. But there are many many other breeds that, when crossed, could produce chickens that look like that. I'm not even going to try to guess what is in yours. Just enjoy them.

4. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    Yeah I know they are mixed - but i'm interested in knowing what they might be mixed with. Particularly the second hen. She is awesome - very friendly and lays the most amazing green eggs!

5. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    I just wondered what breeds they might be from. I got them all from the same place![​IMG]

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If there's any way to narrow it down (like what breeds the place you got them from has) that would help. Otherwise it's a crap shoot.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:what are the breed options? if you have no idea then there is no way any of us can give you any idea as to what they are. for all we know(and you if you dont know other breeds from were you got them) they could of had mixed parents and have 4+ breeds in them

8. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    I know the guy had light sussex, wyandottes and RIR's - so I guess they could easily be a mix. What I was more intrigued about was the green egg. Are there many hens that lay green - i've seen a few before, but not many

9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    easter eggers (ameraucana are rare though hatcheries falsely advertise them) lay green eggs.

10. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    The second one to me looks like to me like an easter egger and cuckko cross...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by