New American Buff Goslings... possible splayed leg?

H_Spango

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Hello! I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for these goslings to hatch after doting on the eggs for 30 days. Now I think one of them may have splayed legs? Or I may just be judging too soon, as he/she just hatched today. I have heard that goslings take more time to get their bearings than chicks, and I have no experience. Can someone please give me some advice, I'd like to intervene as soon as possible so the little one has the best chance of recovery.
PXL_20230610_013306056.jpg

PXL_20230610_013353321.jpg

You can see how the legs go out to the side, and it's unable to get any traction or its feet under it, so it just spreads all the bedding out and ends up on its belly face down. The toes are also completely curled up on both feet and I can't un curl them. The sibling on the other hand has feet under it, is able to support itself to somewhat walk and normal feet. Given, the other one was born over 12 hours before the splayed leg one.

How long ago did baby hatch ?
I haven’t hatched goslings but I know with ducklings I give 24 hours
If after that they still have issues then we start to do treatment
Vitamin B complex is a great idea as goslings do need more niacin then others and maybe mom was a bit low when she laid her egg
I use a rubber shelf liner in my bator and this helps right away so legs aren’t sliding around
I use puppy pads in the brooder and sometimes need to use that shelf liner over them for a few days just to get legs stronger

How long ago did baby hatch ?
I haven’t hatched goslings but I know with ducklings I give 24 hours
If after that they still have issues then we start to do treatment
Vitamin B complex is a great idea as goslings do need more niacin then others and maybe mom was a bit low when she laid her egg
I use a rubber shelf liner in my bator and this helps right away so legs aren’t sliding around
I use puppy pads in the brooder and sometimes need to use that shelf liner over them for a few days just to get legs stronger
The first baby is almost 48 hrs old, the one with normal legs. The younger one with curled toes now does have its legs under it, but toes are still completely curled up. I'm running to get niacin (yeast) and B complex this morning, but I'm now worried because neither of them seem interested in food at all.

The first baby is almost 48 hrs old, the one with normal legs. The younger one with curled toes now does have its legs under it, but toes are still completely curled up. I'm running to get niacin (yeast) and B complex this morning, but I'm now worried because neither of them seem interested in food at all.
Glad babies legs are under her now
She may need a shoe made for the curled toes
@Miss Lydia may have more info on how to do this
It’s not unusual for birds to wait 24-48 hours to eat as the yolk fills them up but by now the older one should be wanting to eat
Have you dipped their beaks in the feed then water ? I try to do this about 2-4 times throughout the day after 24 hours just so they know where stuff is

Thank you everyone for the quick responses. I'm really invested in these babies and I'm going to be really sad if they don't thrive. I'm running out this morning to get B Complex and some yeast for niacin, and I have been dipping their beaks in the water. I also moistened a small amount of the food, as I read somewhere they may like it moistened better ? Not sure, but they have access to both. I will say, the older one who is coming up on 48 hrs... hatched with her yolk still not absorbed. So she may just be a little later to eat because her yolk didn't absorb right away. I had to put her in a sock to protect it.

Edit to add... they are actually drinking when I dip their beaks and I have poultry electrolytes in the water so at least they're getting that!

Back
Top Bottom