New an not used dust bath

Reedo5

Songster
Aug 19, 2017
Finger lakes region, NY
Alright so inside my coop i put a painted tire filled it with play sand an little bit of wood ash for a dustbath but the ladys are not using it! The floor of the coop is crushed stone with dirt under it an they like messin that up more to try an dust bath? Any thoughts on that?:confused:

Are they bantams or LF?
How big is the tire?
If they aren't using it, my thought is there isn't enough room. I've used the large cement mixing tubs and only one LF hen would use it at a time and it took them a while to know what to do with it.

Are they bantams or LF?
How big is the tire?
If they aren't using it, my thought is there isn't enough room. I've used the large cement mixing tubs and only one LF hen would use it at a time and it took them a while to know what to do with it.
Im sure its big enough cus its one they used this past summer i just moved it inside there coop an added the playsand an woodash i guess they jist prefer the floor lol

It's possible there's just something about the tire or the mix of materials (or both) that they just don't care for. My chickens ignored my first attempt at a dust bath (bin too small and too tall), so I waited for them to decide where they liked to dustbathe, and then plunked down dust bath #2 (a small raised garden bed) there. We're on dust bath #3 (Little Tikes turtle) now, same location as the previous, and they definitely enjoy it since the substrate stays bone dry now.

I've tried setting up various dust baths the first few years...
...or adding 'ingredients' to the ones they make.
They always find another place, so I let 'em.

I designed my coop to be elevated (32" off the ground) assuming that it would kill the grass underneath and create a dusting spot. It worked and they love it! They also love dusting in my flower beds, wood shed, and kids sandbox. As long as they dust somewhere they are good.
I use ash from the wood stove to fill in low areas of the yard. They ignore these areas. Granted the ash is not layed out in deep layers (too much can turn the soil too alkaline and kill the grass) so maybe thats why they didn't use it.

I designed my coop to be elevated (32" off the ground) assuming that it would kill the grass underneath and create a dusting spot. It worked and they love it!
My coop building was already raised.
Stays dry all year(after some drainage work) so doesn't freeze.
Only dry spot in the run so that's where they dust bathe.

Back
Top Bottom