New Arrivals!

I improved the weather resistance of their temporary housing with a tarp. Tomorrow I will upgrade them with a mini-run of their own.

0510211854a.jpg

0510211857.jpg

I built them upgraded accommodations today with a mini-run to go with their mini-coop.

Of course just now when I went out to check on them before I head for bed they were sleeping in the far corner of the run totally exposed to the 21% chance of rain between 6 and 7 tomorrow morning.

It took a bit to get them into sheltered part, too. I pushed them in and they popped back out.

I hope that the little darlings have the sense to stay out of the rain today. I'm not home until after lunch so I can't do anything.

I never worry about the fully-feathered adults -- they know they can go to a dry place and if they choose not to I trust them to know what they're doing. But I can't help worrying about the babies.

After work I scattered some scratch around the outside of the mini-coop to help The Ladies get used to The Babies.

0512211555.jpg

0512211555a.jpg

DH brought home some straw bales and I gave them a nice, thick layer in the enclosure -- hoping that they'll want to sleep there and not in the run again.

Where baby chickens want to sleep: In the corner of the run exposed to the elements.

0512212059.jpg

Where I think that baby chickens ought to sleep: In the coop on a nice pile of straw. A 5 minute ordeal getting them to stay there.

0512212101.jpg

Back
Top Bottom