New as a member, but read all the time

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dom Lover, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Dom Lover

Dom Lover In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2019
    East Tennessee
    Hi, I'm Dom Lover and do not have, nor have ever had chickens to raise. So all the help I can get is gladly accepted.
    I am interested in, and plan on purchasing my first Dominique chicks this spring. Hubby inherited his grandmother's homestead of 44 acres and we are building a small log cabin. We hope to have it completed by the end of October, so this will be my first "country" home as I have always been a city girl. So looking forward to retiring to country living where I can have all the animals I can take care of.
    Right now I am looking for hatcheries that will sell Dom chicks for a small number. Since I am just starting, I really just wanted 2 baby ladies, but the smallest minimum I could find was 3. I can live with that. So far I have only found 2, Cackle and Meyer's. I live in Tennessee, so if anyone knows of a closer hatchery for Doms that will sell for 1-3 chicks please let me know. And thanks for all the good information I've read in the past. It has really helped and I have a booklet of all my notes.
    So introduce yourself and fire away.......

2. MaryJanet

MaryJanet Crowing

Dec 24, 2018
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Hi and welcome from me in Adelaide, South Australia :frow I can't help you with hatchery advice, but someone will be here shortly with some tips for you.
    :welcome:woot

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Dom, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Honestly, you really don't want to get just one or two chicks. Three is a good number. Sometimes, chicks fail to thrive and die. If you only had 2 and one died, the other would be terribly lonely and stressed. I have used Meyer and they are good.

4. Dom Lover

Dom Lover In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2019
    East Tennessee
    Thanks, that is the one I have been leaning towards.

5. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Crossing the Road

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you decided to join the flock!

6. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

:frowHi and welcome! Good luck with your upcoming country life!

7. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Look up your state thread ask if anyone breeds them may get some that way good luck on the new life ask you understand chicken math I went to the poultry auction for very young birds just a few yes got 3 of those then 4 ooops then 9 I have had birds 5 years here grew up on farm with many chickens mainly cattle and horses
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community. :woot

9. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC neighbor! I'm in Virginia! Glad you decided to join us. Looking forward to hearing about your transition to the country life! How exciting!

:ya:welcome:ya

10. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Free Ranging

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
    We're so glad to have you here with us! :ya
    Thank you for joining our wonderful community of fellow poultry enthusiasts! :)
    :wee
    I've used both Meyer Hatchery and Townline Hatchery. They're both great and have great customer service!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: