celebrate.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif
bun.gif
Get your magnifying glass out!

I don't know if you know or not, but in the future you might want to get a soil blocker if you plan to start a lot of your own seedlings (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/seed-starting-supplies/soil-block-makers/). It's a whole lot cheaper than buying peat pots or other media since it doesn't require anything but the soil mixture you conjure up. I've been using blockers in one form or another since I was a kid - they work great - just plant directly in the ground when the plant is hardened off and ready to go. Just wanted to mention that in case you haven't seen them before.

I don't know if you know or not, but in the future you might want to get a soil blocker if you plan to start a lot of your own seedlings (http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/seed-starting-supplies/soil-block-makers/). It's a whole lot cheaper than buying peat pots or other media since it doesn't require anything but the soil mixture you conjure up. I've been using blockers in one form or another since I was a kid - they work great - just plant directly in the ground when the plant is hardened off and ready to go. Just wanted to mention that in case you haven't seen them before.

Thanks for mentioning that! I'd never heard of it!

Plants have been sprouting like crazy, which is great and I am loving, but just discovered my stupid cat has been eating my seedlings! Lol I think it just started, saw her and chased her off, but there's a couple plants with leaves missing. Thankfully it's barely any but it's still annoying.

Anyway, the bell peppers were first to sprout and are thriving, now most of the hot peppers have sprouted but still not big/thriving yet and the tomatoes are starting to sprout.

And my spinach is sprouting and doing pretty well.

Still waiting on everything else. Although there is one teeny little sprout from one of the bell peppers in another tray. That pack is from last year too so pretty good.

And I think the thyme is sprouting, lots of little plants but they're still tiny.

I'm hoping they grow soon.

The herbs from TSC don't appear to be growing anymore? But they don't look dead?

Anyway, for now I have locked the cat in the basement with her food and water but I feel bad leaving her down there.

I mean, our basement is finished but she's a social girl.

But there's no other way to keep her out of that room and the plants need to be uncovered once they sprout, right?

We sometimes put something on the handle so the dog can't get out there, which works for him, but the cat is tiny and squeezes through anyway so that won't work.

I need to figure out something though because she's going to eat all my plants!

Surprisingly she hasn't touched them until recently but now that she knows they taste good, she will likely keep eating them.

I wonder if I could just push the table further from the couch and block her landing pad on the other end?

Oh nice, I hope you're planning on eating some of these if you can get them going!
thumbsup.gif

I'm too lazy to start seedlings inside, I'm just waiting for it to warm up enough so I can throw the seeds directly into the ground. I just ordered 15 packets of heirloom vegetable seeds and an extra raised garden bed (I have two 4x8s, adding a 4x4) and am waiting for spring to BE here. I grew carrots and chard last fall, my first successful vegetable plantings in years, it's almost as satisfying as "growing" my own eggs.

I do feel bad for killing plants unnecessarily (yes I'm a sappy sucker) so I want to give my seeds the best chance possible to germinate.

Oh nice, I hope you're planning on eating some of these if you can get them going! :thumbsup

I'm too lazy to start seedlings inside, I'm just waiting for it to warm up enough so I can throw the seeds directly into the ground.  I just ordered 15 packets of heirloom vegetable seeds and an extra raised garden bed (I have two 4x8s, adding a 4x4) and am waiting for spring to BE here.  I grew carrots and chard last fall, my first successful vegetable plantings in years, it's almost as satisfying as "growing" my own eggs.

I do feel bad for killing plants unnecessarily (yes I'm a sappy sucker) so I want to give my seeds the best chance possible to germinate.

Of course I'm planning on eating them! :D well, not the hot peppers. :sick those are for my brother lol but can't let the cat be the only one to enjoy them! :p

And tbh I'm usually lazy too and usually hate plants but this started a few weeks ago out of nowhere and I'm loving it/am really interested this time haha and honestly it's been like no work! Especially with the big tray, the cover keeps it really moist so I haven't had to water like at all! Which is really nice! Now that the plants have sprouted and the dome is off more often or full time I've had to water but not much. The only one that's annoying is the individual pots, it's a different potting mix and the one set in particular dries out quite a lot/only takes the water on the top not all the way through so I've had to water a lot. But besides that it's been easy and fun! :)

We planted some a couple years ago, directly in the ground, they did pretty well but I think the soil was too sandy and in direct sun, probably too much sun. Plus the deer ate them :/ so I'm hoping these do better and so far so good. And I'm planning on making raised beds this time but I need to get around to it aha

I'd also like to try planting something other than peppers, spinach, and tomato but I didn't want to buy too many seeds. I think I do have some squash, pumpkin, and watermelon seeds though. Plus the lavender and chamomile. And you know, I forgot I bought the catnip. Maybe I will plant that or some cat grass so she can have her own greens and stop eating my vegetables! Lol

These have done really well inside :)

Work some aged chicken poop into your gardening soil and that should instantly improve it. I have my existing raised beds in the chicken run and they've been scratching at the soil and composting for me since fall, so it should be good and ready for seeds as soon as the mornings aren't frosty.

I definitely think I bought too many seeds too. I kept thinking of everything that would be nice to try, and suddenly I had over a dozen in the online cart. Plus I still have seeds from my fall plantings and I got some more from the home improvement store. Hoping to grow two types of peppers (shishito and mini bells), two or three types of tomatoes, several different greens, peas, carrot, corn, cabbage, lettuce, zucchini, onion, radish, some herbs. Maybe some more strawberries too - I don't eat too many of them but the chickens and one of my dogs loves them. I plan on staggering the plantings so I don't get hit by a massive amount of plants maturing all at the same time.

Lavender is really nice, I love the smell. I have some boring azaleas bordering the house so I might replace them all with lavender at some point.

Back
Top Bottom