1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Babes in Oct!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rmyer, Oct 3, 2010.

1. rmyer

rmyer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    Hello,
    I have 3 day old bantams. They are inside the coop with mamma with straw bedding, window closed at night. Temps are dropping to anywhere between 40 and 50 degrees, then back up to 60-70 during day. My question is do I need to set up the heat lamp now for night time due to their age even though they are under mamma?
    Thanks

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Noop. Momma takes care of everything. She's got the best insulating material around: feathers, plus her body heat.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:yup!

4. rmyer

rmyer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    Thanks Guys! Just wanted to make sure:)

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    It wouldn't hurt to put a heat lamp up. [​IMG]
    The mamma hen can keep them warm, but it never hurts to be on the safe side. [​IMG]

6. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Im interested in this thread. I don't want to take over this thread just ad to it
    after the chicks grow a little do you need the heat lamp? say when they don't all fit under mama anymore?
    Im planning on separating a part of my coop for breeding purposes only, insulated, with access to the rest of the coop for when its not in use. Is there any reason why I could not hatch chicks in the winter months this way?

7. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just posted about this. I have 2 chicks that are 12 days old and they roam around the yard with their mama all day and sleep under her wings at night. Their mama seemed to want to stay inside and sit on them until they became about a week old and got some wing feathers. Now she's desperate to get out and scratch when I open the coop up in the morning. It ranges from 50 - 80 degrees when they're out, and they seem fine, but I'm a little worried that they may get too cold. They have wing feathers, but that's it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by