New babies!

AngieChick

Poultry Elitist
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Willamette Valley, OR
My crazy silkies decided to go broody and hatch out chicks. 3 out of 4 silkie pullets went broody at the same time, here is the result:

12104_18150_232794608069_703988069_3122633_6058635_n.jpg

12104_4264572431_271868c411.jpg

12104_4265321182_123939c8bd.jpg

Daddy is a partridge silkie roo and mommy is either a white or a splash silkie. All 4 eggs were fertile, 3 hatched. The mommies are doing a great job raising them, but I have to admit that I miss having the chicks in the house like I get when I raise them in a brooder.

Last edited:
Thank you! I actually ended up spending a few hours today setting up a separate space for the chicks and a mom. I had a casualty, so I decided to move the babies and the mama that they were under tonight to their own space. My suspicion is that it was suffocated by too many overly enthusiastic parents. It wasn't one of the ones pictured. So, my experiment in shared chick raising has been called off, at least until the chicks are bigger. Part of the issue could have been that all 3 pullets are young and first time broodies.

I'm going to have 2 very grumpy silkies tomorrow pining after the chicks, but that's just the way it's going to have to be. Poor girls, they tried so hard. Maybe a little too hard.

We got an egg from our GC Marans today and my wife said, "too bad you just can incubate a couple at a time".... then I said, "Well if we had a silkie...."

Quote:
Or three!

Get them, your kids will carry them around like weird little kitty cats! I honestly didn't like them much until I owned some, but they truly are the sweetest chickens ***covering my big chickens' ears*** I bet I could slip a chick under a silkie that isn't even broody and it would raise it up
roll.png

What cuties! Congratulations!
celebrate.gif

I have a broody serama hen who has been hatching eggs. Two out so far, three to go! I love watching broody hens with their offspring--it's so sweet!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom