new baby chicks with possible deformity

lovemychucks85

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
Hi everyone i'm new on here , i'm needing some advice from experienced chicken /chick owners , i have got 2 new day old' naked neck' chicks that im concerned about , 1 didnt absorb all of the yolk sac before it hatch and the other one hatched out fine after about 5-6hrs of pipping but cannot straighten it's neck it's stuck back towards it's body ....... is there any hope for these chicks ? or anything i can do to try and help them i hate to think of them suffering? they both just tend to sleep but on their backs as wen ever they move they fall over onto their backs.

Advice would be greatfully received .

Sounds like wry neck. It's due to a B vitamin deficiency. Did you hatch them yourself? If so, make sure you are feeding a balanced ration to the breeder birds to ensure that the eggs laid will have adequate nutrition available for the developing embryos. I had this happen with eggs that were shipped to me and my solution was as follows: take either a chewable or adult multivitamin and dissolve it in warm water. Every few hours dip their beaks into the vitamin water and make sure they swallow it. I used some prenatal vitamins leftover from when I had my daughter and it worked like a charm.

As for the unabsorbed yolk sac, I can't help you much. If you incubated them yourself, check your incubator settings to be certain it's not running too hot. That can make chicks hatch early or with deformities. Keep the chicks on firm bedding (paper towels or small-gauge wire mesh) NOT shavings. Shavings or straw could stick to the yolk sac. Make sure they stay warm and clean then hope for the best.

*Edit- This should probably be moved to the emergencies/injuries section. I've flagged so a moderator can move it. Hopefully someone else will weigh in with more solutions!*

Last edited:
hi, thank u for ur advice i will try the vitamins and hope it works , i think maybe the incubator was too hot they were 3 days over there hatch date. just hoping they both make it now.

If they were three days past their hatch date, that doesn't sound like an incubator that was too hot. But incubator hatchings can be tricky regardless. I hope the vitamins work... it sounds like a deficiency, so the vitamin drops should help! I would run to Walmart and get the Enfamil Poly Vi Sol liquid vitamins without iron for infants and toddlers. Then you can just drip it in. It's what I have always used.

Thank u , i have been giving both of them vitamins since last nite and the little one with the neck problem has straighten its neck a bit now , the only problem im having now is they are struggling to stay up-right and keep falling over onto their backs. im also havin to feed and water them myself but im hoping once they have more of the vitamins they will improve. how long should i give them vitamins for ? Thank u both for ur advice :)

I would continue to give them the vitamins until they are acting normal... and then maybe a little bit after that to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom