1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new baby questions???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by imagine, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Laurens

Laurens Out Of The Brooder

FMM? That would be my guess.

1 person likes this.
  2. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    The first one with lots of speckles on its chest, looks female. The other two look to have more rusty chests, which are male. Just because if you do have more than one male. Males are not friendly with eachother, in my experience.

1 person likes this.
  3. silkiefluff

silkiefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    NS, Canada
    *Be careful

4. imagine

imagine Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2015
    That was my guess as well, I guess I'll figure it out when the time comes, Eve, the little lady, is super friendly...I hope the white one is a female but so far I've seen that you can't really sex them until they either lay or do boy things hahaha,...so we shall see, I will definitely be trying to make a couple cages so I can have the boys seperated. @Silkiefluff are your silkies bantams? I had originally wanted bantam silkies but hubby didn't approve....I'm still working on that though ;)

5. imagine

Oct 28, 2015
    At about what age do boys begin to try and "crow"?

6. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Mine are almost 8 weeks old and I think I've been hearing him crow recently (within the last week or so). Sounds more like a whistle almost though. So no guarantees, I could just be hearing things. My bet would be 6 and a half weeks.

1 person likes this.
  7. imagine

Oct 28, 2015
    So, I'm in the room cleaning up the cage of my dearest quail a little bit ago and one of the roo's crowed...so I've already come to accept the fact that two of the wild colored ones are boys. So, cool maybe the white one is a girl and I broke even that's not too bad, I could work with that...then it happened...dun dun duuuun....the white one crowed too! I have 3 Roo's and 1Hen :) just my luck. I told hubby, he says I'll have to get rid of the boys and try again for some hens...hmmm...or maybe try for more hens to go WITH the Roo's?!? Hahahaha

1 person likes this.
  8. Del1977

Del1977 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2015
    Australia
    Our most recent batch to reach maturity started crowing at 5.5 weeks much to my surprise. And now at 6.5 weeks they have started mounting, as of this morning.

9. imagine

Oct 28, 2015
    Wow! Yeah I was completely surprised that the first guy (who my son named Crowie) crowed and then to have the other crow a couple minutes later, I was thinking that maybe the girl will lay in a couple weeks :) it's super exciting, and they're really getting used to us, the kids are able to feed them meal worms and stuff so it's nice for them to experience that. I can only imagine the look on my son's face when there's an egg in there for the first time [​IMG]

10. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Reminds me of my son with our chickens. He named our rooster King Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by