Jaybird1107

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2017
Hello. I'm looking to getting (building) a chicken coop for 6-10 hens. Open to all advice on which type of hens for best eggs & least amount of noise that are sociable. Also what size of indoor coop & outside run will I need. Best material to use to keep rodents & predators out!
Thanks! So excited to get this started & im happy I found this site.

Welcome! The general consensus is 4 sq ft of coop space and 10 sq ft of run space per bird. So for 10 you want 40sq ft of coop and 100sq ft run. You can get away with less if they are allowed to free range sometimes. 1/4" hardware cloth is better than chicken wire, which many predators can get through. And make sure your coop has enough ventilation.

Hello. I'm looking to getting (building) a chicken coop for 6-10 hens. Open to all advice on which type of hens for best eggs & least amount of noise that are sociable. Also what size of indoor coop & outside run will I need. Best material to use to keep rodents & predators out!
Thanks! So excited to get this started & im happy I found this site.
You have come to the right site for all those questions. You will find years of ideas and suggestions.
Welcome aboard!

:welcome
:frow

:frowWelcome to BYC!
We are glad you joined!
This video should help you find your way around the site better as a member, enjoy!

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop, excluding nest boxes and roosts. In the outdoor run they should have 10 sq. feet per bird - a top of the run is recommended. , to keep out climbers, jumpers and attacks from the sky. If you use a solid material it will also offer some protection from sun, and the elements.

* if you have the small bantam breeds they will do fine with somewhat smaller dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom