New batch of Cornish Cross

Don't know yet, this is my 2nd batch and last time I saved all the hens for last so that they'd play catch up some. So I still have her in the pen, she doesn't LOOK a lot smaller than the others, but who knows? Feathers a very deceiving...lol

Quote:
this is good to know-as Im hoping I have at least 1 roo in my bunch-to compare-should I be able to tell a roo by now? 3 1/2 weeks??

What I noticed with my first batch is that not all the roos really LOOKED like roos, they just didn't develop the big combs and wattles like some of the others. In fact, I was surprised at a few that I processed to know that the ones I thought were hens, were really roos... I guess they don't have as much of a structure and pecking order like other chickens, and don't develop accordingly... Generally the roos are bigger, but not always.

Quote:
Ok Im going to ask this out of curiousity...how did you know they were roos then? was it there testicals that are inside like the little kidney structures? I did notice these everytime I processed my roos:) I almost want to caponize my extras to make their meat tender!

Yup, they had testicles... those little white kidney looking things....lol I don't notice that the roos are tough... so I don't think I'd go to the extra trouble of caponizing them. But I don't know about normal roos tho...

I am done... Mohawk went into the cooler today as the last one.

I decided to keep the one hen and see if I can breed her to one of my roos and see what I get for hatching. That's IF she doesn't have a heart attack or lose her legs.

Live Processed
11.1 7.5
12.0 8.0
10.93 7.32
10.58 7.26
11.45 7.57
12.75 8.28
12.04 8.13
10.17 7.0
10.26 6.07 <----- Mohawk for those of your following his weight gain from earlier.

I have 130 lbs of chicken in the freezer!!

Thanks
big_smile.png

We shall see how the hen does, I've got her in a dog kennel right now near the coop so they can get used to one another.

Back
Top Bottom