New Bern NC anyone?

Bonjourforty

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Hello! We will soon be relocating to New Bern NC and I would like to raise a few hens for the first time. I am unsure how to find out about chicken raising regulations for this town. I have looked at the websites for the county and town, but don't see anything in my searches. We will be in a subdivision, but on a 2+ acre lot, with hundreds of acres of empty woods behind us.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

New Bern is so pretty - we spent three years just down the road in Havelock.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11332

Swine, horses, cattle and sheep are specifically addressed - and, interestingly, not banned just specified as to distances, etc from others so poultry should be no biggy. The only mention of poultry is below:

~~Sec. 6-3. Animals constituting a public nuisance.permanent link to this piece of content It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain within the city any animals or poultry in such numbers and so housed as to result in noxious or offensive odors, or loud and disagreeable noises, and thereby to constitute a public nuisance.

The concern I would have with the wording of that is that it is very vague and open to interpretation - which can work for OR against you if/when someone decides that your poultry are offending them in some way.

images

Welcome to BYC!

You can also call your local town hall and ask questions. They will know all about your poultry laws.

Kelsie has left you with some good links as well as OL Grey Mare. Welcome to our flock and I hope you can get a flock soon!

Hope you will be able to have your chickens - I think most neighbors don't object if you don't have a rooster and you gift(bribe) them with eggs from time to time . Better yet get them interested in chickens then they won't complain at all.

PS empty woods = predators - make sure to build secure run(with cover) and coop.

Last edited:
Hello! We will soon be relocating to New Bern NC and I would like to raise a few hens for the first time. I am unsure how to find out about chicken raising regulations for this town. I have looked at the websites for the county and town, but don't see anything in my searches. We will be in a subdivision, but on a 2+ acre lot, with hundreds of acres of empty woods behind us.

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Hi,I also live in New Bern NC and if you are on 2t acres I don't see no problem with you getting Chickens, there are a lot of people that live here that have chickens, plus there is a chicken sign that you can get on

Back
Top Bottom