New Born Chick Help

Cargbrock

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
West Tennessee
I have two silkies that have been nesting together. They have had 5 chicks hatch so far.. The first four did great. They are all fluffed out, active, and healthy.. But I'm worried about the last chick. It's the most recent one to hatch.. It was getting out of the shell at about 8 this morning. I figured everything was going great and came back inside. I went outside a few minutes ago to see if anymore had pipped or hatched.. I saw the new baby wasn't under either hen and hadn't fluffed out yet.. I picked it up and it was breathing a little, but wasn't warm. I'm afraid it got too cold and won't make it. I put it back under the mother, but should I go get it and bring it inside to put under a lamp with the chicks we hatched inside, or should I leave it with the mother and hope for the best?

The mother's were being too rough with it, so I ended up bringing it inside. Which was a good thing because it's having trouble and I highly doubt it would have survived if I left it. I think it's a little.. "not all there".

The mother's were being too rough with it, so I ended up bringing it inside. Which was a good thing because it's having trouble and I highly doubt it would have survived if I left it. I think it's a little.. "not all there".

Which may be why the mothers ignored it in the first place. They may sense something is wrong.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom