New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

These babies are getting so BIG! Will be 5 weeks old Tuesday. Someone is driving 2 hours to pick up the light blue cockerel and partridge pullet tomorrow.
View attachment 1393855 View attachment 1393857 View attachment 1393858 View attachment 1393859 View attachment 1393860 View attachment 1393861 View attachment 1393862 View attachment 1393863 View attachment 1393864
I know this is an old thread, been reading it from the beginning and I must say that I absolutely love the light colored 3rd pic up from the bottom♥️

Mary, I am not going to keep any more Brahmas, male or otherwise. The eggs under Jill now are only the two from Cora..well, the later one is there, but I see no development in there, either. I have folks wanting them so I have homes for whatever hatches. I want Jill to break up naturally, unlike the two Brahma broodies I can't seem to break. And now, Thea is clucking! It never ends. And I just lost another old girl tonight, got in from burying her. I'm so tired.
:hugs

I ended up with two bantam speckled Sussex chicks, looks like one girl and one boy. And a half dozen of Arkansas blues, which should be just about perfect, I usually keep two or three pullets each year as replacement birds. Mom is doing a great job, I have them shut inside the little Coop so that she doesn't take them outside and not be able to get them back in. It has been unseasonably cool here, so I worry about I'm getting separated from Mom outside at night.

This is my lady Maribel

Attachments

• 20210228_162400.jpg
    20210228_162400.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 4
Finally we had to check Bonnie. All were pipped/zipping, one was crushed and gone. She knows better than that, but it's been a year and a half since she brooded chicks. I hope she doesn't hurt any others. If she does it again, I may have to remove them and let them hatch on a hot damp towel or something and give them back to her. It's so hot out there. She is so difficult to handle when she's broody, but she won the lottery and got to do it this year. I doubt I'd let any others. I sure won't let her brood chicks again! I think this is maybe her 10th or 11th time in her 5 years of life.

Tonight, I know there are at least two hatched, but I value my fingers. I'm going to be hands-off until later tonight or tomorrow and then see how well she did. I just don't want her to clamp down because I'm hovering. She better enjoy these because I am never supervising this gal again. I think 11 times is plenty for a hen who is just 5 years old. You'd think she'd learn after all those times that I won't hurt her chicks. Bonnie, however, may be in some danger if she bites me again. I have a gash on my left wrist from her beak already.

Back
Top Bottom