New Brahma Group: Blue Partridge x Partridge, Plus Dark

Sun is coming up and I'm about to see what happened overnight. Plus, I have to cut Atlas's spurs. One is hitting the ground again. Even one of Hector's that points downward is almost at that point. I dislike cutting Atlas's because they are so thick and Hector's because I need to put him in a vise to hold him still, he's hates being held so much.

Four chicks out, one was well-pipped at 8 a.m. First pics. Bonnie has calmed down some now that her chicks are mostly out. She does that every time, will still peck you, but not with as much "motivation" as when she was protecting eggs. I brought her some egg and sprinkled some chick starter on top and she's been feeding them. She's a good mom, but so hard to deal with. Hope she enjoys these for the next month because her mama days are about done!
UPDATE: At 10 a.m., all five are out and on their feet.
DSC07406.JPG
DSC07407.JPG

Last edited:
Momma has been taking her littles out into the outside pen. The chicks move freely back into the coop when they want, with or without Mom, and she has been good about taking them in if it rains, so everyone has free range now.

Tomcat is very interested in them, and would love one to play with for himself

1624812222182.png

I have not been able to be near my birds in awhile now because I'm recovering from my broken leg. Apparently, two days ago, Tom noticed Bailey walking very slowly. He picked her up and her crop was a balloon. Bailey is the girl who lost all her lacing and it basically a dark brown color now with some black ticking. He has no idea how long it has been this way and of course, the person who would have noticed sooner is not out there (me, the worrier). Not saying he was negligent, don't get me wrong, but he has a LOT on his plate and subtle signs can be easy to miss. She is in the hospital cage, but is lethargic and has no interest in anything. He is treating her as best he can, but I may lose Bailey this time.
Crop issues are way too common with these Brahmas which is one reason I am no longer adding to the flock. I know Bailey has been in that hospital cage in the past with crop issues; I believe she and Bonnie were there together at one time. They are two weeks younger than Hector, so 5 1/2 years old. None are laying now and a couple of months ago, only two or three of the six hens were laying anyway. All my birds are fed the exact same food, the exact same way, but the Brahmas are big eaters. You can't give them too much of the 13 grain scratch mix, either.

I wish my poor husband had someone to help him out. He's in extreme pain, plus he has to have shots in his eyes every four weeks,long story. Today was one of those shots on one side, next week in the other. So, that adds more pain. He says Bailey hasn't even touched the yogurt and tomato juice he gave her. She just sits like she's waiting to die. He's doing what he can, I know.

Bailey is still hanging on, but refuses to eat. She is skin and bones. Tom is still trying to feed her by hand, but must place food inside her beak to get her to eat. She won't last much longer at this pace. This has been going on a very long time now, three weeks. He can't seem to get her to want to live. She just drags around when we put her with her group, stands over the feeder watching others eat but will not lower her head to eat herself. She is only 5 1/2 years old and I guess she will be my first Brahma loss. Darn it.
The weather going up and down and being damp can't be helping, but she has a ceramic reptile bulb over her cage at night so she doesn't have to expend calories to stay warm. It is a complete mystery to me what is happening to her other than seeing some bright yellow poop on her butt fluff like egg yolk. I even broke with what I normally do and put Duramycin in her water for a week in case it might knock out some possible infection, but doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Back
Top Bottom