New Bucket Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NellaBean, Aug 27, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I made three new bucket feeders last night. Super easy and each holds about 50lbs of feed.

[​IMG]

I used plain ol 5 gallon buckets from Walmart (or TSC, Home Depot, Lowes, ETC) - $2 each
    Plain lids (not shown) - $1 each
    Hog pans (from TSC) - $4 each
    3/8" bolts, washes, screws - $0.67 per feeder's worth

So here are my $8 feeders. Not bad considering a 30lb feeder is at least $20 these days. I made all 3 for less than $25.

I screwed the pans to the buckets but left about a 2inch gap between them....and drilled out 2" holes in the bottom of each bucket so the feed could run straight into the pan. Super easy. The higher pan keeps the birds from billing it out.......today is the first day of use so I'll let you know how it goes.

2. beth59

beth59 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2009
    Pensacola, Fl
    Looks like a great idea! Look forward to seeing how well they work. We made some PVC tube feeders a few weeks ago and are liking how they're working for us.

Beth

3. Feather_wrangler

Feather_wrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Holyoke CO
    These do look much easier to make.

4. BluBug

BluBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Quote:[​IMG] GREAT Idea & work~Thanks ! [​IMG]

5. Fluffy2

Fluffy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    SF East Bay, CA
    They look great. Sorry for this dumb question, but, are you going to put them down on the ground/floor of coop or will they hang from the wood structure you have in photo? I am Newbie so I get to ask a dumb one, right? [​IMG]

6. Fluffy2

Fluffy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    SF East Bay, CA
    Because mine are sitting on the pan edge with their butts to the bucket and pooping all over the food.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Not a dumb question. I was wondering the same thing.

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have done both. I have one hanging in the coop and don't have any problems. I used to have one sitting on a salt block feeder (for horses) in the garage area and didn't have any problems there either. My chickens have plenty of other things to roost on [​IMG]

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I am gonna make some of these! Those dang bucket feeders just do not have a high enough lip.

Thank you, Nella!

10. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    really nice feeders!!! I use some similar homemade feeders and only have 7 bucks in each of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by