New Bucket Feeders

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I made three new bucket feeders last night. Super easy and each holds about 50lbs of feed.

24277_0826002005.jpg

I used plain ol 5 gallon buckets from Walmart (or TSC, Home Depot, Lowes, ETC) - $2 each
Plain lids (not shown) - $1 each
Hog pans (from TSC) - $4 each
3/8" bolts, washes, screws - $0.67 per feeder's worth

So here are my $8 feeders. Not bad considering a 30lb feeder is at least $20 these days. I made all 3 for less than $25.

I screwed the pans to the buckets but left about a 2inch gap between them....and drilled out 2" holes in the bottom of each bucket so the feed could run straight into the pan. Super easy. The higher pan keeps the birds from billing it out.......today is the first day of use so I'll let you know how it goes.

Looks like a great idea! Look forward to seeing how well they work. We made some PVC tube feeders a few weeks ago and are liking how they're working for us.

Beth

They look great. Sorry for this dumb question, but, are you going to put them down on the ground/floor of coop or will they hang from the wood structure you have in photo? I am Newbie so I get to ask a dumb one, right?
lol.png

I have done both. I have one hanging in the coop and don't have any problems. I used to have one sitting on a salt block feeder (for horses) in the garage area and didn't have any problems there either. My chickens have plenty of other things to roost on
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom