New Buff Orpingtons...Devouring wood shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by drawlins, Oct 21, 2019.

1. drawlins

drawlins In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2019
    York, UK
    One week in to owning three BO's for the first time, and we've changed bedding materials twice already! :wee

We were recommended by a very experienced breeder (3000 chickens on site at any one time), that wood shavings were the best bedding material. However, our buffs were not from that breeder and decided that wood is pretty tasty - they've grown up living with straw.

We've got a wireless camera set up and so spotted them gobbling copious amounts of shavings and so had a late-night emergency cleaning session to remove the shavings for fear they'll get an impaction.

So-back to straw, we've got a brand here called Dengie Fresh Bed and it's been endorsed by the Hen Welfare Trust, so I'm assuming it's safe for chickens despite some concerns I've read about straw impactions? This straw is chopped and is quite fine, also being gently infused with pine oil. They love it, and don't seem to eat it much at all.

Just wondered about experiences on here- does anyone else see these issues? Here's a snip from this evening, of the three ladies snoozing on the floor despite a lovely roost above them!

David
    IMG_0045.JPG

MROO and penny1960 like this.
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Straw can mold may I ask what state you live in ?

MROO likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Are you offering your new chickens grit?

MROO and penny1960 like this.
  4. drawlins

drawlins In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2019
    York, UK
    I'm in the UK - Yorkshire. If I change the straw every other day, surely that'll be safe from going mouldy? I don't want them living in a damp environment anyway.

penny1960 likes this.
  5. drawlins

drawlins In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2019
    York, UK
    Absolutely - I've got a tray of grit and also mixed feed with oyster grit

penny1960 likes this.
  6. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Are you assuming oyster shell serves as grit for the digestive system? Or are you providing actual granite grit?

penny1960 likes this.
  7. drawlins

drawlins In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2019
    York, UK
    The separate tray I provide has proper grit - flint and granite.

penny1960 likes this.
  8. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Excellent! Along with clean fresh water, there shouldn't be any issues with impacted crops from eating shavings or other cellulose. It should wash right on through their systems.

penny1960 and perkolator like this.
  9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Don't know if you can find different sizes of shavings, but I did notice my hens liking to eat smaller, finer shavings. If you can find a more coarse flake shaving it would probably help discourage them a bit.

That said, if they like this current bedding you're using and it's cost effective for you, no reason to switch it up.

Other possible options would be sand, or I use wood chips (mulch).

penny1960, drawlins and azygous like this.
  10. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    They are now selling them large or small have that out here also I was in state of shock from this

drawlins likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: