New Buff Orpingtons...Devouring wood shavings

drawlins

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2019
York, UK
One week in to owning three BO's for the first time, and we've changed bedding materials twice already! :wee

We were recommended by a very experienced breeder (3000 chickens on site at any one time), that wood shavings were the best bedding material. However, our buffs were not from that breeder and decided that wood is pretty tasty - they've grown up living with straw.

We've got a wireless camera set up and so spotted them gobbling copious amounts of shavings and so had a late-night emergency cleaning session to remove the shavings for fear they'll get an impaction.

So-back to straw, we've got a brand here called Dengie Fresh Bed and it's been endorsed by the Hen Welfare Trust, so I'm assuming it's safe for chickens despite some concerns I've read about straw impactions? This straw is chopped and is quite fine, also being gently infused with pine oil. They love it, and don't seem to eat it much at all.

Just wondered about experiences on here- does anyone else see these issues? Here's a snip from this evening, of the three ladies snoozing on the floor despite a lovely roost above them!

David
IMG_0045.JPG

Don't know if you can find different sizes of shavings, but I did notice my hens liking to eat smaller, finer shavings. If you can find a more coarse flake shaving it would probably help discourage them a bit.

That said, if they like this current bedding you're using and it's cost effective for you, no reason to switch it up.

Other possible options would be sand, or I use wood chips (mulch).

Back
Top Bottom