New BYC death on slow connections, slow computers; site crashes and hangs web browser...

You do know that Mac OSX is just a pretty version of Unix (BSD Flavor) which is the OS upon which Linux is based, right? You can have *nix + Photoshop all day long.

No I did not know that, but thanks for the tip! I don't own a Mac, I run on limited budget which has required me to obtain computers from thrift stores, and well, I've had trouble finding Mac anything there!
sad.png

Errrr... now you have me wanting to research this more cause I just read I can apparently download Mac OSX on a regular PC! But there are arguments that say it can't be done! hmmm...

No I did not know that, but thanks for the tip! I don't own a Mac, I run on limited budget which has required me to obtain computers from thrift stores, and well, I've had trouble finding Mac anything there!
sad.png

That is the beauty of a Hackintosh... you can run Mac OSX on most PC hardware, however, there are some specifics and a little fenagling to be done. It's a great project though!

http://www.hackintosh.com/

You got me curious now, very curious! LOL I have another usable tower sitting in the closet doing nothing - I'm going to experiment on it!

Give it a whirll... That website will give you a good headstart. I don't get into the PC vs. Mac thing because it's silly, but MacOSX is really the nicest operating system I've ever used. It has the stability and security of Unix and the good looks and charm of MacOS. While computer magazines will do an article about once a year proclaiming that finally, without a doubt, there are viruses for MacOSX, I'm still waiting to hear of a real case or to see one for myself. I've got macs sitting outside of firewalls just naked on the internet that have been there since 2004 without incident. I don't even know what Virus protection software is, or where i'd find it... and I've never seen any sort of malware, trojans, spyware, or anything else.... ever. It's just a part of life that is what Douglas Adams would call a SEP. Somebody Else's Problem. Also.. BYC runs fine, blazingly fast, ads and all on my 6 year old mac.

Give it a whirll... That website will give you a good headstart. I don't get into the PC vs. Mac thing because it's silly, but MacOSX is really the nicest operating system I've ever used. It has the stability and security of Unix and the good looks and charm of MacOS. While computer magazines will do an article about once a year proclaiming that finally, without a doubt, there are viruses for MacOSX, I'm still waiting to hear of a real case or to see one for myself. I've got macs sitting outside of firewalls just naked on the internet that have been there since 2004 without incident. I don't even know what Virus protection software is, or where i'd find it... and I've never seen any sort of malware, trojans, spyware, or anything else.... ever. It's just a part of life that is what Douglas Adams would call a SEP. Somebody Else's Problem. Also.. BYC runs fine, blazingly fast, ads and all on my 6 year old mac.

Does Mac OSX require a license key to use like Microsoft Windows? The beauty of Linux is their free operating systems that require no license key to use the system AND what you said about the Mac OSX security regarding viruses etc., its the same for Linux
wink.png
Hey have you by chance read my rambling I posted? I went to areas of the internet in this story that I wouldn't dare do on Windows LOL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...kens-gets-a-surprising-response#post_12021881

Gosh, I sit down to catch up on my threads, and boy I wish I had done it yesterday. With dial up my system was slow but with all these pop ups it's killing me. I thought platinum was supposed to be ad free.
sad.png
I was already struggling to keep up with my favorite threads. Not sure wht I a going to do with the system functining slower now . . . and kids needing the PC for homework . . . . . . I think I am going thru withdrawal already. lol

Arielle wrote: Gosh, I sit down to catch up on my threads, and boy I wish I had done it yesterday. With dial up my system was slow but with all these pop ups it's killing me. I thought platinum was supposed to be ad free. :( I was already struggling to keep up with my favorite threads. Not sure wht I a going to do with the system functining slower now . . . and kids needing the PC for homework . . . . . . I think I am going thru withdrawal already. lol

Ah, did you check the NO advertising box in your profile under Edit Account Details???

Anyone else on dial-up should drill through the thread I linked to in my first post in this thread.

Does Mac OSX require a license key to use like Microsoft Windows? The beauty of Linux is their free operating systems that require no license key to use the system AND what you said about the Mac OSX security regarding viruses etc., its the same for Linux
wink.png
Hey have you by chance read my rambling I posted? I went to areas of the internet in this story that I wouldn't dare do on Windows LOL
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...kens-gets-a-surprising-response#post_12021881

The security stuff is really quite simple too. Things are turned off, ports are closed, and software doesn't just automatically execute (think Microsoft Outlook)

Mac OSX does have some sort of copy protection.. but if you're in some of those dark alleys of the internet, I'm sure you can find a suitable version with its restrictions "eased" :D

Back
Top Bottom