New Call Ducks - Advice please!

Happy Wednesday everyone!

So unfortunately... the speculations were confirmed as I checked the wings today.

Both have been pinioned.

I have attatched photos of their wings.

Puddles has some really "off" feathers on the back of his neck. Checked for parasites but there are none. They feel rough and course and he keeps pecking at them. Photo attatched.

Thanks again for the continued support and guidance, really appreciated. :)

Well shoot :( Did she hatch these on her own? If so she would have been the one who did the pinioning, and she would know that that means they can't fly, since that's the whole point of it, and she lied to you. If she didn't hatch them and didn't handle them much and didn't really look them over, she might not have known.

If he has some really really rough feathers that are bothering him, you can pluck those, and he'll grow new ones. Of course I wouldn't be doing this with a ton of feathers, but a couple here and there wouldn't hurt. You can try to force a molt through reducing daylight hours, since it's reduced daylight that triggers a molt.

He is in need of a good molt. At least hopefully the pinioning was done when they were tiny and it’s completely forgotten similar to having dew claws removed from tiny puppies? Maybe I’f you had a way of keeping them in a warm place he’d begin to molt on his own? Of course others who have calls can give better guidance like @Pyxis or @shawluvsbirds. Only thing I know to do is keep up with the vitamins and good feed and hopefully he’ll recover from not having a very good start at his previous home.
I can't think of much more either, besides what's already been said. :idunno
I wouldn't over do the corn though. I think corn is pretty much a filler. . and right now they probably need all the nutrition they can get. Don't know if you can find this in your area, but I have seen good results from this stuff called ultra kibble. I give this to All my ducks for a treat. https://www.ruralking.com/farmers-h...ZNsKDTXS-sdbGHn_9v6Wc6f3ezGlnYzhoCMJ0QAvD_BwE

Happy 1st of December everyone!

A long overdue update on Puddles and Jemima;

Puddles still has wet-feather, which is very hard to treat with the Winter season as it is often damp and raining here in the Winter. I really hope it clears up with his next moult which is due in the Spring I believe. But he has now stopped stumbling and tiptoeing! Which is absolutely fantastic, I am thrilled!
He has a rather nasty looking patch on his back which he has had since I got him.
Loss of feathers and it looks very dirty. He preens like normal and I let him bathe in water (not often because of his wet feather... but he gets wet from the rain anyway when he's outside...)
I will attach a photo to show.

Jemima is doing wonderful. At what age do calls start to lay eggs and what should I be aware of? Obviously I'm concerned about her being egg-bound but I am always worrying about something. ^^;;
She falls asleep to the hairdryer every time it's on. :')

Both are allowed to free range in the garden, they love it.

Attachments

• 47396896_354055448489191_5014258018955558912_n.jpg
    47396896_354055448489191_5014258018955558912_n.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 47252862_586554851800717_6664429259177590784_n.jpg
    47252862_586554851800717_6664429259177590784_n.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
How’s the skin look there? I think once he molt’s these feathers out he’ll be one handsome boy. I look forward to seeing Puddles then. AND so happy to hear he has gotten over the stumbling and tiptoeing!!! :woot Of all you have done can you put your finger on what helped him through this ( for Anyone else who may need help with this). Thanks so much for update Good to hear Jemima is doing great also!! As for eggs I believe it will be spring before you’ll see any eggs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!! I can’t tell much from the pics, is it a spot that he chews on excessively?

Eggs... all of my females have laid their first egg between 20-22 weeks. One adult now only laid one egg the day she turned 20 weeks, and hasn’t laid another (that I can definitely be sure is hers) and a younger set of twins laid a few eggs in their 21st week, but have stopped for the winter. I get the occasional egg here and there now, but they will all pick back up in the spring.

Hello! Sorry for the absence!

Both are doing great, I actually caught them mating today! Is this normal because it's Winter!

He doesn't chew that spot excessively but he does preen it a lot.
The skin looks a tad red and sore, probably from his excessive preening on that spot in particular. They don't have any external parasites. I think it's where the female used to bite and attack him out of frustration in being cooped in a tiny pen in their previous home.

Hello! Sorry for the absence!

Both are doing great, I actually caught them mating today! Is this normal because it's Winter!

He doesn't chew that spot excessively but he does preen it a lot.
The skin looks a tad red and sore, probably from his excessive preening on that spot in particular. They don't have any external parasites. I think it's where the female used to bite and attack him out of frustration in being cooped in a tiny pen in their previous home.
Totally normal. They do tend to calm down a bit on the mating during winter, but they don't stop.

I must have strange Calls? Mine definitely are not breeding and haven't since September. I currently have all my Ducks together because the Drakes and Hens are not hormonal.
Once breeding season begins in spring they will need to be separated.

I must have strange Calls? Mine definitely are not breeding and haven't since September. I currently have all my Ducks together because the Drakes and Hens are not hormonal.
Once breeding season begins in spring they will need to be separated.

Must be too cold up there. :D

I've seen my young ones, the ones just coming into adulthood, still breeding. :rolleyes:
:frow

Back
Top Bottom