New chick(en)s won't roost in the right place

A lot of the info in Welshies thread is about getting the chooks back to the run rather than into the hut for bedtime so treats are very relevant but treats in the hut won't make a vast amount of difference as the chooks are generally returning to the hut as it gets dark so they tend to just go in, find a perch and settle down to sleep. It is more about ensuring the hut is somewhere warm, safe, dry, draught-free and, very importantly, pest-free. Nothing will put chooks off going to bed more than a mite infestation waiting to feed on them in their sleep!
That's not my thread.
Either way, treats will help a lot. It's called treat training!

A lot of the info in Welshies thread is about getting the chooks back to the run rather than into the hut for bedtime so treats are very relevant but treats in the hut won't make a vast amount of difference as the chooks are generally returning to the hut as it gets dark so they tend to just go in, find a perch and settle down to sleep. It is more about ensuring the hut is somewhere warm, safe, dry, draught-free and, very importantly, pest-free. Nothing will put chooks off going to bed more than a mite infestation waiting to feed on them in their sleep!

Yes I could understand that... I'd feel the same, but thankfully this won't be the problem.. it's all new stuff, purpose built and pest safe... when it rains they're happy to be inside, in fact they won't come out. We also still have the brooder switched on and will continue to for this winter only - they're only young, if we get a cold snap they have an option of a warm up (which they still do occasionally) ..... they'd best make the most of it 'cause in Spring it'll go for good. ;)

Sounds like they have a cosy set up then. In which case, the nightly putting them to bed should work fine.

Are you, incidentally, looking at your username, in Wasdale in the Lake District, England?

Yes & no - I grew up there - best place in the world!

I now live in Teesdale.... also a wonderful place, do you know them?

I have been to Wasdale....a beautiful place, love the Lakes. Never been to Teesdale.

I am in rural Worcester now, having moved up from the Cotswolds....both also beautiful places. We finally have some land and are living the dream....alpacas, goats, rabbits and chooks. Also waiting on 14 hatching eggs :D

I have been to Wasdale....a beautiful place, love the Lakes. Never been to Teesdale.

I am in rural Worcester now, having moved up from the Cotswolds....both also beautiful places. We finally have some land and are living the dream....alpacas, goats, rabbits and chooks. Also waiting on 14 hatching eggs :D

Sounds wonderful ..... we got these as day old chicks, my son's request and it's been a fascinating journey so far. You could almost see them growing!

You should make a point of visiting Teesdale, it is beautiful - as is the Cotswolds and Worcester but in a very different way. High Force being the main tourist attraction.

Do you use the wool from the alpacas and milk from the goats? Strange creatures alpacas.... had an unfortunate incident with one at a local animal rescue centre that I volunteered at, never quite trusted them since!!! :) Nice to meet you!

Teesdale is on my 'go to' list. All our holidays are UK based and involve beautiful countryside, walks etc so we will get there one day. This year we will be seeing the countryside from the water though...canal boating the Stourport Ring.

Our alpacas are very tame and amenable. The lady we got them from, Tori, is a senior consultant for CameliDynamics....a sort of horse-whispering for camelids....and so my trio have been brought up very well. It means they are beautifully calm, tame, approachable and have never spat at a human being or got aggressive in any way. Tori also shears them for us but as we only have three and the fleeces aren't worth much, we do a deal where she gets the fleeces and we get heavily discounted shearing. The goats are all neutered boys so no milk involved. They are all just much loved pets. Same goes for the chooks. I don't even eat eggs (unfortunately egg intolerant!) though my hubby can't wait for free range, home-laid eggs again (only just chooks again, after our move nearly two years ago). Very nice to meet you too xx

My comment might be a bit redundant, but hopefully it's helpful too.

Chickens will hang outside at dusk until it gets too dark for them to see well. Then they go into the coop.
If the coop gets dark faster than it does outside, they will have problems seeing the roosts. Good window lighting on a coop will fix this.

Also, when they're younger they will roost closer to the ground, or still sleep on the ground. Even up to two months old I would have to put my babies to bed. Not too much of an investment, I think. It's fun to scoop them all up and give them a hug and pop them on the roost. They figure it out after about a week to two of your doing this. And you benefit from getting attached to your pets!

They grow up fast! Enjoy this stage of their development. :love

Back
Top Bottom