new chick has scabby eye

La Banan

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
One of my 7 day old chicks has a scabby looking eye. I think I noticed it early on but as they all seem to shut their eyes when being held I didn't think too much of it. She seems to be fine with it and to tell you the truth - I'm not sure there is even an eyeball there. But today I noticed it is slightly scabby looking. Should I try washing it? They all seem fine - eating, drinking and all have been out in the garden twice now. Can't tell if she(he) is having any other problems. Not to look at anyway.
Thanks!
Jan, new nervous chicken-mama

just wash the eye..see how it goes..

if it re-occurs, get some saline eye wash (for humans), and some terramycin eye ointment from feed/farm store.
the chick might have been pecked.

if the eye continues to drain, or swells..post back..

Last edited:
I had a few like that back in May...just moisten the eye, and what I did was slowly, gently, using my thumbs, pull the upper eyelid up and the bottom eyelid down at the same time until they opened. I had to do that several times, but it eventually worked very well. All of their eyes are perfect now at 13 wks. Keep us posted!

Thanks guys - I'll try both of those. I did wash it last night with warm water but I really couldn't see a difference. Naturally the little thingy doesn't like to be fussed with but I will do it again today and see what happens. At first I thought there wasn't an eye - but I think there is one in there!
I'll keep you posted.
Jan

Back
Top Bottom