new chick has scabby eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by La Banan, Aug 7, 2008.

1. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    One of my 7 day old chicks has a scabby looking eye. I think I noticed it early on but as they all seem to shut their eyes when being held I didn't think too much of it. She seems to be fine with it and to tell you the truth - I'm not sure there is even an eyeball there. But today I noticed it is slightly scabby looking. Should I try washing it? They all seem fine - eating, drinking and all have been out in the garden twice now. Can't tell if she(he) is having any other problems. Not to look at anyway.
    Thanks!
    Jan, new nervous chicken-mama

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    just wash the eye..see how it goes..

if it re-occurs, get some saline eye wash (for humans), and some terramycin eye ointment from feed/farm store.
    the chick might have been pecked.

if the eye continues to drain, or swells..post back..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  3. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

I had a few like that back in May...just moisten the eye, and what I did was slowly, gently, using my thumbs, pull the upper eyelid up and the bottom eyelid down at the same time until they opened. I had to do that several times, but it eventually worked very well. All of their eyes are perfect now at 13 wks. Keep us posted!

4. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Thanks guys - I'll try both of those. I did wash it last night with warm water but I really couldn't see a difference. Naturally the little thingy doesn't like to be fussed with but I will do it again today and see what happens. At first I thought there wasn't an eye - but I think there is one in there!
    I'll keep you posted.
    Jan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by