New Chick Owner Questions...

Treeva

In the Brooder
8 Years
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Hello all,
My new chicks arrived last friday (all 5 of them) safely and they are doing great. We have had so much fun watching them over the weekend and one of my dogs won't leave the brooder area - he lays there watching them and moans when he has to go to his crate area (hahaha).

Anyways, they were born last Tuesday or Wednesday and I'm wondering how long I should keep them on just paper towels. I would like to put pine shaving in the brooder, but I wanted to check on how long I should wait (ie - avoiding splayed feet etc). Am I safe to change it out tonight and put the pine shavings in?

They are starting to get little wing feathers and a few at their feet (they are cochin bantams). And I even saw one fly a bit today in the brooder, which I was shocked by.

How long do you keep them on the chick food typically? Is there anything else I should be giving them?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as they grow, but these are the ones I can think of now.

Thank you,
Mary

welcome-byc.gif
You will hear a lot of different answers about the pine shavings. I have had pine shavings in my brooder on top of paper towels from day one and never had a problem. I tried the just paper towels and wasn't as happy because I think it is cleaner with the shavings than without. Without the shavings, they seemed to be constantly stepping/laying in their own poop, even though I would put in fresh paper towels twice a day.
hu.gif
You could try adding shavings and watch to see if they are eating them. Mine will pick around the shavings, but they usually drop any piece that they pick up to taste. I do leave the feeding area clear of shavings, which allows them to peck at the food that gets spilled from the feeder. For the chick starter, look at your label, but most recommend using the higher protein for 6-8 weeks and then moving to a grower/developer feed.

I used pine shavings from day-one with my two sets of chicks as that is what they had them in store where I bought them and they are doing fine. However six of my chicks are white leghorns hens which are eight weeks old. They have been moved to Coop and are doing just fine. The other 5 are bantams and are six weeks old. I would like to put them in the Coop when they are eight weeks also, but am leery as to the size descrepancy./ I don't want the bantams to get beat up by the bigger leghorns. What would be the best way to introduce the bantams into the coop? Any ideas ? Anyone? Thanks.

Quote:
Congratulations and
welcome-byc.gif
My dog licks her lips when she watches the chicks. (Bird dog and all!)

Anyways, they were born last Tuesday or Wednesday and I'm wondering how long I should keep them on just paper towels. I would like to put pine shaving in the brooder, but I wanted to check on how long I should wait (ie - avoiding splayed feet etc). Am I safe to change it out tonight and put the pine shavings in?

2 summers ago when I had chicks, I was lucky that nothing happened, but I had them on paper towels for 6 weeks. (Shame on me!) This year I put them on paper towels for the first few days and then added pine chips on top of it... at about a week. Seems to be working out great. Paper towels do absorb a lot better too, so I do have some of them at the bottom as well.

They are starting to get little wing feathers and a few at their feet (they are cochin bantams). And I even saw one fly a bit today in the brooder, which I was shocked by.

Yep, if you don't have a top on your brooder, you might want to invest in one!

How long do you keep them on the chick food typically? Is there anything else I should be giving them?

I changed my pullets over to laying food when I figured they'd be laying soon and I didn't want to get another bag of starter, only to have to quit using it. So, it was at about 4-4.5 months old.

Again! Welcome!​

Back
Top Bottom