New chicken addict in NC

nursebecky99

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2012
Alamance County NC
Good morning everyone,
I am a chicken and egg raising hopeful! I have had the desire for some time, and will be making it a reality this spring after we move to a new home in the country (currently in the middle of town and renting with an un-chicken-friendly landlord). I have my oldest child on a mission to build the coop for his senior project, then I plan to find some sweet pullets to start my flock. I would love some North Carolina advice on where to find the best "girls".

Have a great night/day! (LOL yes, I am posting at 2am...am a Certfied Nurse Midwife and Registered Nurse, working nights at the moment!)

welcome-byc.gif
I'm in Wilkes County, NC. Welcome to the site. You will find everything you need to know about raising chickens here. Be sure to check out the learning center. It's full of vital information. If you have a local feed store, they often have chicks each spring which are usually from hatcheries. AVOID small animal auctions, flea markets, yard sales etc. Many folks have lost their entire flocks due to bringing in sick animals. You're gonna have to ask around to find a reliable source. You can tell a lot about the health of others' chickens based on the environment in which they are kept. Best of luck!

To BYC!

Not sure why I am still awake, I'm in the same time zone! So happy to have you join us, and you must check in often and let us know whe you get that coop built. I too fullfilled a dream of moving to some property, and got out of the rat race of the suburbs! I just got my first eggs on New Years Eve!

So happy to have you!
Post pictures!

MB

Here is a link to some fellow peeps from North Carolina!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/91762/north-carolina#post_1007442

Last edited:
Yay to the first eggs! I am so excited to be getting my chicks and all the fun that goes with it, and my sig other and my son both just laugh at me, darn men!

Back
Top Bottom