Most of the "Exterior Grade 1" stuff is pretty crap in a chicken house - its the constant humidity on the inside, constant exposure on the outside. Going with anything thinner, or cheaper, tends to promote failure sooner - ultimately increasing expense.

You can go with metal siding, it just requires different tools, and different cautions, since you have sharp edges anywhere you cut. Even then, you are likely paying about $1.10/sq ft plus fasteners. Your plywood right now is running $1.40/sq ft? and cheaper fasteners (somewhat). So its not a big savings there.

(prices are part of why I've delayed building three rabbit pens for the meat bunnies I plan to bring onto property in February - they've forced design changes. Not paying $200/pen to house an $8 rabbit)

Last edited:
your chicken standards seem to be higher than your human standards.

why wouldn’t you use it for a coop?
It's not about 'higher standards' its about using the peoper materials for the proper application.
In a climate controlled house it's not exposed to to the moisture it would be in a coop.

I wasn't going to get the red cedar, I was just showing that they have 10-foot boards. I'm going to get 12-foot boards so I can get some overhang on the sides, then I need to draw up how to add the fly rafters in the front.
They might have different lengths in different types of wood.

1640809983195.png

With the overhang at the front, would the red be 2x2s? 2x4s?
1640824521405.png

If I choose to do Polycarbonate roofing, I would just need to get four panels (each panel 26inx12 feet, 24sqft) or would I need more? Or would I need only 3, because that would cover 72 sqft

Back
Top Bottom