New chicken family

cafrhe

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Western central NJ
Hi

My children and I recently started our flock of egg layers. We recently bought 10 acres and will start populating it with farm type animals.

I remember taking care of our chickens as a young person and couldnt wait to get some girls again. We wanted cold hardy breeds who lay into the winter. Our goal is to sell eggs. We started with 3 RIR, 3 BO and 2 Amauracanas (which look a lot like EEs after perusing BYC). We finally found Black Australorps (my dd loves them) and added 2 little ones.

Our main flock is 12 ish weeks old and the BAs are probably 3-4 weeks old now. The big girls just moved out to their coop permanently this past week (cold and slow builders delayed their move). The little ones will go out when they are big enough.

BYC has been a huge help since before we got the girls. I remember a lot from childhood, but also research the heck out of something before I do it.

Thanks
Jennifer

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, this is the place to be when you own poultry! And we are busting at the seams with knowledge here on BYC!

You will love the Black Australorps. They are super docile, friendly and great layers too. Very hardy over all.

If you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your flock, hope you get lots of eggs!

Hi! I am new too. We have 2 white leghorns and 3 barred rock islands. They r 4.5 weeks old. We let them out in the day but bring them back at night (w/ heat lamp still). We are looking at what kind of coop to build or buy. Any tips? Thanks!!

Amy

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

lol Amy, you might not want my advice! Our house is a fixer upper, I do a little woodworking, we have a lot of scraps around and I wanted a mobile coop for now and since we have to fix up the house...we have a low budget....All that turned into a coop that is functional, but probably not 'up to code'. It is not finished yet--needs insulation, inside walls, nest box and windows. But it is functional and (I hope) safe. We have a huge town wide garage sale in June and then big trash day-I am hoping to find my windows and additional building materials then to finish it up.

If you are like me--build bigger than you think you need. I already want more chickens lol, and it would be nice to have room for the food etc in the coop. The girls love to roost under the cart on the axel--I can see why so many folks build the coop off the ground, great spot for roosts.

Hi,
welcome-byc.gif
. Glad to hear it's been a lot of help. Helped me out quite a bit when I started raising chicks a few weeks ago. Don't know where I'd be without this website.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom