New chicken keeper / Zoology life

Mine are ridiculously well handled, but getting them used to your presence and providing incentives to interact are a start. Mealworms are universally liked, so greeting them with treats or implementing a 'treat-call' will go a long way. Also, you can slowly add in enrichment goodies for them, like a stack of cut grass or raked leaves - essentially, you want them to see you as their provider and bringer of goodies.
When gardening, collect any tasty bugs and try calling them over - you may end up with a permanent garden buddy this way :)
They all have their own personalities, likes and dislikes to discover. Some may never be ok with handling while others may seek you out for a short cuddle or affirmative pat before heading off on a new adventure.
You know you've successfully integrated into your flock once they start coming in the house looking for you :)

Welcome to BYC. I wholehearted agree with Lizz733, about the mealworms especially. I can hardly open my storage locker in the run because thats where I keep the mealworms. The chicks are on top of the box, on top of my arms, ON TOP OF ME!
Do you like pickled eggs? Maybe an acquired taste (which I acquired hanging out in some dubious places). If so, a gallon of pickled eggs is always good for using up a few dozen eggs. AND you can always freeze them (break into a greased muffin pan. Use in baking or any recipe that calls for eggs.) for when the hens take their winter break or go into molt.
Again, welcome to the fowlest place on the internet!

Welcome, welcome! Hubby and I have various Bio Sci degrees of sorts with a little Ag mixed in. Learning something new I think helps keep your mind fresh and happy. Chicken tending is so much fun. They really do have different personalities. One SLW that I have was the first chick in the brooder to eat out of my hand and then climb up and scratch around. She is still the boldest and hops up on everyone who’ll let her! Just an example. We’ve only had them for six months and they are an adventure for sure!

Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new property and chickens. How nice that you had a little flock ready and waiting for you. I've had my chickens for less than a year, and while I don't have a desire to cuddle them, I've found my chickens are very friendly. When I go outside and call them, they come running over to their gate and will follow me around in the chicken yard. They seem to like being in my presence, and to associate me with good things. I think that's because of treats, as others have already said. I hope you enjoy your chickens as much as we enjoy ours. I've found them to be ridiculously fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom