Hello chicken enthusiasts!

Back in April, I was only able to get two barred rock (due to some specific circumstances). I had them in the run for a few weeks, so that they would know that it was their home and such.

My older flock, free ranges and would come and go from the run as they would please, while the two new chickens would hang out in the run.

Once the two new chickens were older, I let them free range with my older flock, and put them all away for bed in the evening.

Even though all my chickens would free range together, the new and older chickens, the older hens would chase and peck the newer chickens. So, these two chickens would pair off, and free range together.

Recently, I found out one of these new chickens was a rooster šŸ˜… my older hens still chase and peck him if he gets too close. He also jumps my hens unsuspectedly, to mate. My hens hate this and sometimes gang up and chase/ peck him off the hen he is mating with.

However, my other new hen (who I got at the same time as my roo) is his buddy, and still pairs off with him. My roo does the courting dance with this hen, and only her. Everyone else he jumps onto and mates whether they want to or not.

To even things out, I got two more barred rock that are two months younger than my roo and Barred Rock hen. Instead of following the free range flock integration rules, I decided to keep my flock in their run, and place my older barred rock hen and two younger newer barred rock pullets together in an enclosure, inside the run.

I am planning on keeping everyone together like that for a while to try to integrate everyone. Iā€™ve only down this for a day, and am hoping in a few days time the flock will be more accepting. Will this help????

Also, will time help my roo to be accepted by my flock, and court my hens?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your cockerel is being an adolescent, and hasn't matured enough to impress your hens as yet. As long as nobody is being injured, he's not human aggressive, and there are several feeders, waterers, and places to be out of sight, things should work out fine.
Cockerels are always questionable until they show themselves to be worthwhile flock members, so it's early times for yours.
Your newest chicks should be able to fit in as time goes on.
Hatchmates tend to stick together as 'family' for a long time, sometimes for years.
Pictures! How about some pictures?!
Mary

Your cockerel is being an adolescent, and hasn't matured enough to impress your hens as yet. As long as nobody is being injured, he's not human aggressive, and there are several feeders, waterers, and places to be out of sight, things should work out fine.
Cockerels are always questionable until they show themselves to be worthwhile flock members, so it's early times for yours.
Your newest chicks should be able to fit in as time goes on.
Hatchmates tend to stick together as 'family' for a long time, sometimes for years.
Pictures! How about some pictures?!
Mary
Thanks for your reply @Folly's place
I am hoping my roo will become the leader once heā€™s full grown in November.

Is keeping my flock in their run, with my new girls in an enclosure inside the run, a good way to acclimate everyone to each other, so everyone can free range together?

It might a take a week or so right?

Attachments

• D3EB9854-C984-4011-BC84-27AA70BA3B16.jpeg
    D3EB9854-C984-4011-BC84-27AA70BA3B16.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
I dealt with the exact same thing. I had a speckled Sussex rooster and Sussex RIR cross hen that hatched together. They walked around together like soul mates. Once or twice Iā€™d even find one or the other trapped in my garden and the other waiting for it even after the sun was setting. It was downright adorable. Like Follys Place said, heā€™s an adolescent. Heā€™s a teen with his high school sweetheart who doesnā€™t know how to impress college girls or adults yet.
fast forward a month or two, that same rooster has learned to impress other hens. He still spends a lot of time with his hatch mate, but heā€™s found his own. So just give it time and Iā€™m sure he will be as prolific as he can.

I dealt with the exact same thing. I had a speckled Sussex rooster and Sussex RIR cross hen that hatched together. They walked around together like soul mates. Once or twice Iā€™d even find one or the other trapped in my garden and the other waiting for it even after the sun was setting. It was downright adorable. Like Follys Place said, heā€™s an adolescent. Heā€™s a teen with his high school sweetheart who doesnā€™t know how to impress college girls or adults yet.
fast forward a month or two, that same rooster has learned to impress other hens. He still spends a lot of time with his hatch mate, but heā€™s found his own. So just give it time and Iā€™m sure he will be as prolific as he can.
Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one who has had this problem!

And yes, it is so cute that one will look and wait for the otheršŸ“šŸ“

I really would like my roo to become the leader, and become accepted by my older girls.

thanks for your input, itā€™s really appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom