New chicken lady from WA

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you are enjoying your flock! You don't need a rooster. They are more work than they are worth and the hens will be much happier without one around.
X2 on TwoCrow's statement about a rooster. I currently have 25 hens (and 1 White Silkie rooster who someone dumped on our property night before last and who I plan to re-home very soon) and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, fights, feeding of non-productive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-breeding and battering of hens that comes with having roosters.

LOL isn't that the truth.. The past couple of days I must admit were an adventure.. our sweet little messy feathered girls have decided its a blast to dump the water bin.. arggg. 2ce these little monsters got us.. HAAA outsmarted them though We put a nice wood chunk and lifted up the water container and wedged it just a little against the bin. So far so good. Comical. We put up their first roosting board.. and of course boom.. all over it like a shiney toy. Jumping hopping, tripping over each other. I laughed and laughed. Too much fun !!

I'm from Oak Harbor Washington...I have 10 girls...2 1/2 years old. Learning everything on my own. Seems nobody really knows much about chickens or their health. Hoping when I need help you all can help ...I have 4 Orpingtons..4 Americaunad..1 Rhode Island red and 1 New Hampshire red:) Love this site!:)
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Hello :) from WA!! I am now the proud mommy of 4 Amerucauna's . We decided not to go for a rooster, but that may change in time. My husband and I are new to this whole chicken lifestyle, though I was an AG major in college. We are almost ready to introduce our new "kids" to their coop and my husband is finishing up their grand mansion in the backyard. Looking forward to all the firsts.. and watching how fast they grow !! I can watch these little ones for lengths of time, pet them and just crack up at their curiosity. This.. Im going to enjoy.
welcome, :) ya arent they totally entertaining, omgosh shh dont let my other half hear there is a whole chicken lifestyle I'll never hear the end of it around here :)

Back
Top Bottom