New Chicken Lady Here

:welcome Hello from Nova Scotia and welcome to BYC! You’ve joined a great and resourceful community! Enjoy your journey!
Wow! No better way to conquer that fear than jumping right in!! Salmon favorelles on my wish list as well!
Thanks for the welcome. My sister is the Chicken Queen, and even threatened to visit if i got them LOL. There is something about them I just have to have( ppl friendly) Both my cochin Hens are a tad grumpy 'what evers'. The rooster is a sweet sweet fellow. Which is good cause if he wasn't. I do tell the little to leave the BIG black chickens alone. i make my husband catch them LOL. We need to check their feet and legs. We did jump in for our girl and so glad we did. I do enjoy them and spend about 20 mins every morning just hanging with them. That may change when horses come in off the stubble and its get real cold.

Thanks for the welcome. My sister is the Chicken Queen, and even threatened to visit if i got them LOL. There is something about them I just have to have( ppl friendly) Both my cochin Hens are a tad grumpy 'what evers'. The rooster is a sweet sweet fellow. Which is good cause if he wasn't. I do tell the little to leave the BIG black chickens alone. i make my husband catch them LOL. We need to check their feet and legs. We did jump in for our girl and so glad we did. I do enjoy them and spend about 20 mins every morning just hanging with them. That may change when horses come in off the stubble and its get real cold.

Chickens can't see in the dark. That might be a good time to do your assessments. I check vents at night. LOL. The bird love to raise their tails for me. LOL

:welcome :welcome :welcome
Don't worry, your 18 chickens will make you forget the incident back in your childhood. They make you smile when you're having a bad day. The chicken that hurt you back then was only doing what she was supposed to do, protect her babies. You shouldn't hold hold that against the chicken this long. Of course you yourself was just a child back then and didn't understand, but after growing up and becoming a mother yourself, you should understand where the mommy chicken was coming from. Just saying.
But welcome 🤗🤗🤗
I was 4 yrs old and she shredded my head. Wasn't holding it against her, I was seriously traumatized. But that momma hen found out that I had my very own momma. When i was 7, I was attacked by damn turkeys and my mom saved me again. Long standing feather issue. Did lots of research to see what breeds would be best for us and the orps by far surpass my expectations. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

My female buff orpington (sweetie) is the lowest in the pecking order, but the males were crazy and vicious to other rooster breeds and challenged me a lot, until I put the fear of God in them. Although they learned to respect their human handler, I had to make soup out of them, they were to bloody mean to other roosters. However, as soon as they disappeared, another bunch of hooligans took their place. I will probably end up with a Jersey Giant (Tiny) and white Rhode Island rooster (Whitey). Whitey is the rooster who helps me beat up the feet crazy Australorp rooster. Tiny acts like an immature giant, he hasn't crowed yet and other roosters seldom bother him. They are all the same age, but Tiny is the heaviest. He has the characteristics of a gentle giant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom