New chicken mama in E TX

traci0214

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
Piney Woods of E Tx
Hi there,

I'm new to raising chickens, just started a few months ago. I got a chicken yesterday from a friend who is in really rough shape. She was jumped on by 4 roosters, one right after the other, and when she was finally let up and escaped she was jumped by two others. She has NO feathers on her back. I couldn't bear to leave her there so I brought her home Upon closer inspection she appears to have a raw spot about the size of a silver dollar and a puncture mark under the other wing. I put some peroxide on them to clean them out then I added a little coconut oil with a drop of TTO in it. I also noticed that when we'd set her down she'd fall over on her face but would get up. Today I checked her feet and assume she has bumble foot. There's a large puffy pocket on the bottom of one foot with a large black scab. I did some research and found most people took scalpels to their feet and cut them out. I just don't think I have the stomach to do that but on the other hand I know bumble foot can be fatal. I tried pulling the scab off after soaking her feet in Epson salt and warm water for a few minutes but was unsuccessful. I mixed some coconut oil, oregano oil, lavender oil and TTO and put it on some gauze then wrapped it on the bottom of her foot. I'm hoping it'll soften the scab up enough so I can pull it off and clean out the wound.

I also boiled some oregano and a cinnamon stick (as I saw on a post) and made her a "tea" to use as an antibiotic. Also diffusing TTO periodically throughout the day hoping it will help also.

Any ideas would be great as I know next to nothing.

Greetings from Kansas, Traci, and
welcome-byc.gif
! It's great to have you aboard! I did a double take when I read your post! At first I thought it was your friend that was in bad shape after being attacked by roosters!
ep.gif
The Emergencies Forum is an awesome resource you might want to take advantage of for your poultry health questions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
- but it sounds like you have a good handle on the bumble foot treatment.
Thanks for joining BYC and I hope your hen gets better soon!
smile.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us and I hope that you manage to fix your girl.

Best wishes
CT

I thought you friend was in bad shape also. Sounds like you are fixing up salad dressing rather than anything that would help your injured chicken. None of that will help bumble foot,

Puncture wounds are the type most likely to get infected. Do you have a vet that could treat the conditions you don't want to attempt? Someday has to do something to make her well.

G’Day from down under traci0214
frow.gif
Welcome!

I agree that the folks on the ER Forum are your best bet. Best wishes to you and your new little girl.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom