New Chicken-Mama Member

Camden74

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
Greetings!
My name is Camden and I live in southern Wisconsin, about 45 minutes southeast of Milwaukee, on 2.5 acres on a beautiful wildlife lake, with my husband, Great Dane, eight chickens, and four grown children who randomly visit us on the weekends. We are fairly new to being chicken-parents, as we ordered our first 10 chicks last April. One of the Buff Orpingtons turned out to be a broiler, which I had to butcher at six weeks old because she so fat she could barely hold herself up! The Australorp turned out to be a rooster, and even though we live on acreage, we are zoned residential, so we found a good home for him. The remaining eight are: two Ameraucanas, two Silver Laced Wyandottes, two Barred Rocks, one Production Red, and one Buff Orpington. The Buff Orpington is being coming pretty famous in our group of friends and family. She was born with a neck defect, and I thought for sure she wouldn't make it, as I had to hand-feed her electrolytes and vitamins daily, while she struggled to stay upright. Nine months later, when she's not looking up at the sky with her head upside down, she is welcomed into our home for snuggles with humans and the Great Dane. :) From before we even ordered our chicks, every time I went to Google for a question, Backyard Chickens consistently had the best answers or articles. I'm looking forward to joining the BYC community with my own questions, answers, and experiences.
Smiles,
Camden

Hello Camden! Welcome to BYC!! It’s so nice to have you join us! welcome.gif

This video may help with learning how to navigate the new site.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us. :)

Hi Camden and welcome to BYC

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom