New Chicken Mom and Sick Chicken

agomes

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Hello Everyone;
I am looking for some advice. I am a new chicken mother of a flock of 7 hens. They are about a few months old. One of the chickens a Buff Orpington is coughing. I also notice there is soft light brown poop in the coop. I am not quite sure what is wrong and would love some advice. I do not notice any other chickens making a coughing sound.

Are there any other symptoms such as sneezing, or are her eyes/face swollen? It could be a respiratory disease, in which case you should isolate her to prevent the others from getting it too. If more respiratory symptoms appear, or if she gets worse, get Oxytetracycline or Tylan50 and begin treatment.

It could also be Gapeworm. Is she gasping with her mouth open? If it is gapeworm, get a wormer such as Valbazen or Safeguard.

It is also possible that she just has something stuck in her throat. You could try massaging her neck and see if that helps.

Keep us updated, and watch for any new symptoms to appear.

She is sneezing but not as often as the coughing. She is not gasping with her mouth open. If I do get the antibiotics can I give them to the whole flock even if they are not showing any signs? Should I separate her now until she gets better to prevent other birds being affected?

I would isolate her immediately, as it sounds like a respiratory disease. Put her into a cage/crate and keep her warm. Give her electrolytes and keep her warm.

Giving antibiotics to your whole flock wouldn't harm them, but I would just treat the infected bird, unless more birds begin to display the same symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom