New "chicken mom" in Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DebAndi, May 28, 2017.

1. DebAndi

DebAndi Just Hatched

May 25, 2017
    Bought 6 chicks beginning of May... No idea what I am doing, but been fun so far. One died the first night :( The rest are doing fine. According to the store, I have a Rhode island red, a barred rock, a Cochin, and two buffington. Hopefully all girls as roosters are not allowed where I live. Started with them in a cardboard box in my bedroom! Now they are in a large dog crate in the shed. Been collecting materials to build a coop which will go in the fenced off area behind the shed. Any advice?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest going to the learning centre - its got some excellent resources that should help you -
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

DebAndi likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    :welcome glad you have joined us.

So sorry about the loss - hope the rest fare well.

My advice - finalize your coop plans and start building. Those babies grow so fast, and you'll be wanting to move them out when they are 5-6 weeks old :)

DebAndi likes this.
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Welcome to the flock. My advice is to build the biggest most predator proof coop you can afford. Start with a small flock. Start slow and everything will fall into place.

drumstick diva and sunflour like this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I am so sorry for your loss. :hugsI hope the others grow up and bring you great joy.

Welcome to our roost! :)

DebAndi likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined us.
    Sorry about the initial loss. I believe your "buffingtons" are likely buff orpingtons, a lovely breed, especially for beginning in keeping chickens.
    The advice I would offer is build big - build bigger than you think you need. There is no such thing as having too much room for chickens, and many problems that can come from having too little....plus building big allows for the eventual onset of chicken math.

DebAndi likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by