New chicken mom!

Jboo

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2017
Hey everyone just joined been using backyardchicken for several weeks now since getting chickens! We have a small flock of 4 they are about 10 weeks now and doing well in their coop my kids love them! They all seem to like to huddle in one nesting box but they will get it.... still leaning!

Attachments

• IMG_6401.JPG
    IMG_6401.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to BYC!

Do you have a place for them to roost in the coop?
You could block off the nesting box for now so they don't get use to hanging out or sleeping in it.

Welcome to BYC and the poultry keeping adventure!
Best box sleeping can be a bad habit and one that leads to issues layer wien they stay to lay. A sleeping birds expels a lot of waste....sleeping in the nest box means this leads to a nest full of poop and, later, poopy eggs. To break the habit either block of the boxes until they are in the habit of roosting and ready to start laying *or* go out at dusk and physically move them out of the nest and onto the roost so they get the idea. Are your best boxes higher or lower than the roost?

Welcome to BYC!

You could block off the nesting box for now so they don't get use to hanging out or sleeping in it.
That's what I had to do to my pullets, droppings would get in the box and stink up the coop. It's also unhealthy for a lot poop to be in the nesting box.

Welcome to BYC! And congratulations on your flock! To help mine learn to use the roost, I would put them up on it every evening for a while. It didn't take them long to figure it out :)

That's what I had to do to my pullets, droppings would get in the box and stink up the coop. It's also unhealthy for a lot poop to be in the nesting box.
Welcome to BYC!

yes just need to teach them to use it!

Welcome to BYC and the poultry keeping adventure!
Best box sleeping can be a bad habit and one that leads to issues layer wien they stay to lay. A sleeping birds expels a lot of waste....sleeping in the nest box means this leads to a nest full of poop and, later, poopy eggs. To break the habit either block of the boxes until they are in the habit of roosting and ready to start laying *or* go out at dusk and physically move them out of the nest and onto the roost so they get the idea. Are your best boxes higher or lower than the roost?
The roost is higher than the boxes, thanks for the great tips!

You may want to check out this video.
It will help you to learn how to navigate this site.

Back
Top Bottom