New chicken mom!

They are on a 22% protein layer pellet that u mix the oyster shell in with. Hopefully it will get better. I sure love my girls, and want them all healthy and happy! : D

Try putting some extra oyster shell in an another container near the food. The ones that need it should eat more. Maybe they can't pick it out of the feed?

Shell-less eggs are pretty common when pullets start to lay, they can be for various reasons, their shell gland is not quite mature enough, their system is just not in gear yet and the egg moves through too fast, they drop more than one yolk in a day (also how you get doubles) etc. Hopefully they should mostly stop laying them in the next month or two, they are usually nothing to worry in new layers, or if they just lay them occasionally. If you get a lot of them, or one hen doesn't lay anything else you'll want to look into other causes. Rubber eggs usually don't have anything to do with lack of calcium as such, especially if they are laying normal eggs also. X2 on it is a good idea have oyster shell on the side for them.
The Poultry Site has a link with a list of various causes. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

Ok, here's another question, lol! I've got some cracked corn seed mix that I was thinking about mixing some dry oatmeal with to make a type of scratch for my hens. Is that an ok mix, and if so, how often is it ok to give them without it effecting their egg laying? Or will it???

Sounds like a nice treat for the girls. Most complete commercial feeds say to limit treats to about 10% of the diet so you don't unbalance it too much or lower the protein too much, most layer is only around 16%, but most scratch type feeds are 8-10%, corn is usually around that. You're actually feeding a pretty high protein % food, 22%? to they laying hens also from what I understand? So you can probably get away with more, if they free range and you give them a wide range of treats etc they should be fine and happy.

Y'all are gonna get so tired of me!! But 2 of my hens aren't getting on there roosting sticks tonight. 2 are and 2 are nestled on floor if coop in the fluffy new pine shavings. Is that ok, and/or normal?? Just wondering.

I am a little confused about something. One if my hens is laying rubbery eggs that they break open. I had one Tuesday, and Wednesday. None yesterday, just two pretty brown eggs. This morning had a broken rubbery egg and a good one. Not sure which of the 4 is doing what. I was told by the man we got them from it was calcium. But I know they have plenty of oyster shell mixed in with their feed. I check every time I got out. Also, I keep reading about how they love cooked oatmeal and grits when it's cold, but mine may taste it and that's it. They don't eat it. Very confused!

Sound like first time layers ,,,,,, try Laying mash & put out some oyster shells to harden up the shell .......
thumbsup.gif

Ok, more questions!! I have added to my brood of chicks. The ones I have already are about a week old. These are a few days. Is it ok to put them together???? I have a larger container I got to put them in. Jut don't want the older ones to pick on these. And, I have two Rhode Island Red rooster chicks coming in next week. Can someone please advise me!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom