New Chicken Momma in the PNW

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
This is my first year raising chickens and honestly my first experience really being around them at all. I picked up my first 3 silkies on April 10, 2022 and my next 3 (Delaware and 2 RIR) on April 14, 2022. After the loss of 2 about a month ago I picked up 4 chickens that were about 18 weeks old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 8 chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 silkie, 1 Delaware, 2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Australorp, and 1 Easter Egger

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Learning their different behaviors and having a hobby that keeps me active. Eventually I will love the fresh eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Organic gardening, kayaking, hiking, brewery hopping

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and I recently moved to Bellingham, WA from just over an hour South of here. The house came with a coop already built so I figured it just made sense to get chickens! We have two 13 year old cats.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found this community from a chicken Facebook group I am part of. Someone recommended I post on here as y'all have a plethora of knowledge! I'm looking forward to learning from everyone.
Welcome to BYC! I’m also a pnw’er. Happy to have you! I s as m also part of they FB group, nice to see you here. 😊

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
This is my first year raising chickens and honestly my first experience really being around them at all. I picked up my first 3 silkies on April 10, 2022 and my next 3 (Delaware and 2 RIR) on April 14, 2022. After the loss of 2 about a month ago I picked up 4 chickens that were about 18 weeks old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 8 chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
1 silkie, 1 Delaware, 2 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Australorp, and 1 Easter Egger

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Learning their different behaviors and having a hobby that keeps me active. Eventually I will love the fresh eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Organic gardening, kayaking, hiking, brewery hopping

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and I recently moved to Bellingham, WA from just over an hour South of here. The house came with a coop already built so I figured it just made sense to get chickens! We have two 13 year old cats.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found this community from a chicken Facebook group I am part of. Someone recommended I post on here as y'all have a plethora of knowledge! I'm looking forward to learning from everyone.
Welcome to the community! I have some Barred Rocks also, they are a very beautiful and reliable breed!

Two of my silkies were eaten by a family of 5 raccoons. ☹️ They got my neighbors duck as well. I appreciate your condolences. It was hard and I learned a lot from it.
Did you reinforce your coop and run? If you would like for us to look your coop and run over, and point out any vulnerability, post some pictures on your setup.

Welcome to BYC! I’m also a pnw’er. Happy to have you! I s as m also part of they FB group, nice to see you here. 😊
I believe you are who sent me here! My chickens were acting weird and I was concerned about their behavior. Thought it was worms and just about anything else under the sun. Turns out I was just watching them too closely.

Back
Top Bottom