New chicken owner - first coop. Advice?

should I insulate?

There's no point. The free flow of air with sufficient ventilation will equalize the inner and outer temperatures.

Your location says Currituck so, being on the ocean, you might want to prepare some kind of louvered storm panel that you can use to keep rain and gale-force winds out (without blocking the ventilation). Some stockade fence panels placed a few feet away on the windward side might be sufficient.

Summer heat is far more of a danger here in the steamy southeast than winter's chill -- they need plenty of shade and breeze or they could get cooked in their coop. But storm winds blowing right on the chickens without some kind of baffle would be too much.

There's no point. The free flow of air with sufficient ventilation will equalize the inner and outer temperatures.

Your location says Currituck so, being on the ocean, you might want to prepare some kind of louvered storm panel that you can use to keep rain and gale-force winds out (without blocking the ventilation). Some stockade fence panels placed a few feet away on the windward side might be sufficient.

Summer heat is far more of a danger here in the steamy southeast than winter's chill -- they need plenty of shade and breeze or they could get cooked in their coop. But storm winds blowing right on the chickens without some kind of baffle would be too much.

thanks so much! Thereis a pricy fence about 6 ft away and i think I may install anoverhang above the vent that faces outside. I think I will install some hooks to the exterior to hang tarps or heavy shower curtain or 6mil sheeting for when we get bad hurricanes and tropical storms. But I’ll probably get a large crate for emergencies to get them out of the hurricanes on my covered porch... they sometimes last for days.I’m right on the water so the heat is not as bad as some areas. We just about always have a breeze and it’s slightly cooler.

The other option would be blocking two walls with plexi glass.

I use to overly fret about chicks when it came time to move them from a heated brooder to the coop. But with my last four broods I have moved them at 3 weeks of age when they were not quite fully feathered and have had zero issues, even with no supplemental heat. I moved my latest group of 9 bantams outside last Saturday when it was 85 degrees Fahrenheit and even with morning temperatures in the low to mid 50's every morning since, they have done fine. And last September I had moved a 3 weeks old brood outside without supplemental heat and almost the same daily temperature variance, and they did great as well. It appears they harden up quickly.

I use to overly fret about chicks when it came time to move them from a heated brooder to the coop. But with my last four broods I have moved them at 3 weeks of age when they were not quite fully feathered and have had zero issues, even with no supplemental heat. I moved my latest group of 9 bantams outside last Saturday when it was 85 degrees Fahrenheit and even with morning temperatures in the low to mid 50's every morning since, they have done fine. And last September I had moved a 3 weeks old brood outside without supplemental heat and almost the same daily temperature variance, and they did great as well. It appears they harden up quickly.

I feel like a mom who’s kid is going to school for the first time lol!!! I could hear them out there screaming for me for hours. It broke my heart

I might just get a couple 2x4's to place standing on their short side. Would that be better (a few inches taller)? There are no walls to attach it to on the side with the nest box..

You could build a support for one side of the roost by cutting a 2x4 to fit at the height you want the roost, then screwing in the roost on top of that (with the other end at the wall).

Mostly stays above freezing but we do get a little bit of snow. I'm looking for something that's less of a fire hazard than these big reflector things . What's the safest way to heat the coop? Most of our winter temps are between 30-45 deg.

You truly do not need to supplement heat nor insulate in any way. You have extremely moderate winter temperatures. If you want an extreme example of what chickens can tolerate: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-cold-is-too-cold-check-this-out.1345546/

This is the infographic I was following... it says minimum temperatures outside should be 65? My two that are in the coop ARE fully feathered. (minus baby feathers on the top of their heads)

I personally disagree with the recommended guidelines of dropping 5 degrees a week, mainly since I've seen firsthand that it really isn't necessary. We're hovering in mid 60s but my chicks, not yet 3 weeks old, choose to spend most of their time out of the brooder and away from their heat source. They only use it when they want to take a nap, and at night.

Next week isn't projected to be any warmer and I'm planning on removing heat entirely at that time.

I feel like a mom who’s kid is going to school for the first time lol!!! I could hear them out there screaming for me for hours. It broke my heart

You'll harden yourself to it over time. I'm like the evil stepmother now, the babies can cry for all I care, I'm not bringing them in nor am I going to do anything to coddle them. 😈 It's tough love!

Best heat is cozy heat panels I have 4 hanging on walls.Mine coop is heavily insulated ,however.Temp. Never below 50 degrees even at 15 degrees out.Good for small coops,200 watts each.No fire hazard.Cozy brand,about 38$.Last about 2 years each.Mine are on all winter 24 hours day.They still go outside and don't get sick anymore then others.
Always have visible thermometers to check temperature in coop.Also,they dry up air,so coop has very low humidity.Though mine are cleaned every morning.I only use pine shavings.Vet said hay/straw can lead to crop impaction issues and mites.
My hens are spoiled pets,but I cringe when I see chickens getting frostbite.They lay more eggs too,no long periods without eggs.No lights ever used.
I see you have no screening,Mosquitos will bite them,Nats can kill,by choking them.This is more common then many know.
My run is not screened,but the coops windows are.Very important.
Right now they're air conditioner is running 24 hrs.,way too hot for me and them.They come out but,by afternoon,they peck at coop door to go in,cool off.Chickens with mouth open is too hot.They have plenty of shade too,very important.They still like theyre sandboxes even when it's hot.Nw Illinois ,below zero in winter ,can have 100 s in summer.
I always want them to be comfortable ,clean ,well fed,and happy.They deserve a great life.

Back
Top Bottom