New chicken owner problems with bullies

Also with the run space, it also helps if you can put in something for them to do, whether it's simply a few branches to hop up on or a pile of leaves for them to dig through.  Like today I put in a small raised garden bed just for the chickens to play with and half filled it with peat moss, and they've been rolling around in it for hours.  It's natural behavior for them and lets them focus their energy on something other than picking on the bird on the bottom rung.

I'm going to add some branches and leaves. I bet they would love that. Thank you!!

We decided to separate the bully tonight. She's in the greenhouse. Should I introduce her right in the morning and put her back in the coop or let them all free range and meet up? I've observed them almost of the day. When they are in the coop in the morning they are ok everyone gets food and water their nesting boxes are off the ground they have room for a dust bath and I've been laying them out mid morning to free range until bedtime. It's at night when they are all perched on the roost that one hen was getting pecked. There are 3 roosting perches off the ground that is available so it's not lack of space for them.

Squabbling at roost time is normal behavior for even the most peaceful flocks. If they have the option to roost separately and are still roosting together, they're fine. Some aspects of chicken behavior are not pretty to us (pecking order) but are completely natural for them, this is one. If they're getting along during the day then I don't think you've got a problem. Put her back with them asap or reintegration will cause problems.
Best wishes.

We decided to separate the bully tonight. She's in the greenhouse. Should I introduce her right in the morning and put her back in the coop or let them all free range and meet up? I've observed them almost of the day. When they are in the coop in the morning they are ok everyone gets food and water their nesting boxes are off the ground they have room for a dust bath and I've been laying them out mid morning to free range until bedtime. It's at night when they are all perched on the roost that one hen was getting pecked. There are 3 roosting perches off the ground that is available so it's not lack of space for them.
Are the perches all at the same height? They will still jockey for the "safest" position on roost.

Roost time is always the roughest!

I might leave her separate one more day/night and then let her back in the next morning. Yes, reintegration may be a little more difficult for her, but that's kind of the point! To take her down a notch.
smile.png

It really is trial and error though, No two chickens are exactly the same. So whatever you think is best!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom