New Chicken (pullets) Momma

I called the place I ordered them and they told me they would only be a few days old,!!!! I wasn't expecting baby chicks. Not sure I'm prepared. I ordered a radiant heater for the coop. Now what??

Pictures will help. Many times people try to use a coop that is too small for the number of birds - that can be a wreck. It is always a bit worrisome when someone new comes on here, they often have gotten a pre-fab coop/run set up for 6 birds. Those coops are not big enough for 6 full size birds.

Do not worry about keeping them warm, worry about keeping them dry and out of the wind. Wind shelter is what they need, and they will keep themselves warm. The first reaction to cold weather or a winter storm is to shut it up tight to trap the heat....worse thing to do, what you trap is the moisture. Damp chickens are cold. Keep the ventilation open.

Personally, I have never locked mine in the coop. My coop is a naturally good place to go to sleep, and most birds will find it near dark. One or two nights, near dark, making sure everyone gets in, and they figure it out. But I would keep them confined to the coop/run area. I let mine decide if they want to go out at night or not. If you get them in the late afternoon, I would just put them in the coop, and lock them in there that first night.

Enjoy, this is truly a wonderful hobby.

Mrs K
Not sure why you need pics for my question but here you go

Attachments

• 20211209_114728.jpg
    20211209_114728.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211209_114720.jpg
    20211209_114720.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 4
I just discovered they are newly hatched.

I'm at work and can't answer questions but here are a few links before my break is over:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chick-brooding-101.75950/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/brooding-chicks-the-first-6-weeks.74640/

Those are general articles.

Here's one of my brooding threads so you can see a general idea of what you might expect: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/introducing-the-ideal-dozen.1469451/

I called the place I ordered them and they told me they would only be a few days old,!!!! I wasn't expecting baby chicks. Not sure I'm prepared. I ordered a radiant heater for the coop. Now what??
I assume this is one of those upright plate types? If there's instructions on placing it horizontal, that would be more ideal for providing heat.

For the first few weeks I'd keep them inside the coop with the heat plate, plus food and water. If the coop is large for the number of birds you may want to temporarily wall off part of it so very young chicks don't wander too far away from heat access (after a week or two they'll be better at navigating and finding their way around the entire space).

Nice thing about raising them outdoors is less mess/stink, and it'll naturally home them to the coop as well.

You are golden PVILLAGO. Many times people come with very small set ups and that can cause a lot of problems, I was afraid of that, but not the case.

As for chicks, you will need a heat source, but do set it up so that there is a cool side and a warm spot. If you keep chicks too warm, it is harder on them as they move out of the brooder. I put the feed and water in the cold spot away from the heat lamp spot. They will move back and forth as needed.

Start them out in a smaller box, but quickly get them into a larger area. Personally, I get mine outside ASAP at least for part of the day. Fresh air and sunshine are good for chicks. And they are just like babies, come in, get under the heat lamp and they will take good naps.

Do be aware, that some chicks fail to thrive. Sometimes it happens, don't feel bad if it does, just take care of the others.

Mrs K

I assume this is one of those upright plate types? If there's instructions on placing it horizontal, that would be more ideal for providing heat.

For the first few weeks I'd keep them inside the coop with the heat plate, plus food and water. If the coop is large for the number of birds you may want to temporarily wall off part of it so very young chicks don't wander too far away from heat access (after a week or two they'll be better at navigating and finding their way around the entire space).

Nice thing about raising them outdoors is less mess/stink, and it'll naturally home them to the coop as well.
It looks like this. Now that I know they're babies I'm going to put a big cardboard box inside coop and keep them in that with heat,food and water. How long should I contain them in box? Until they start jumping on ledge? Now that I know they're babies do I add sugar to their water or electrolytes when they first arrive?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20211210_014521.jpg
    20211210_014521.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 3
It looks like this. Now that I know they're babies I'm going to put a big cardboard box inside coop and keep them in that with heat,food and water. How long should I contain them in box? Until they start jumping on ledge? Now that I know they're babies do I add sugar to their water or electrolytes when they first arrive?
Thank you
See if there's instructions to use it as a brooding plate, as it's more difficult for chicks to warm themselves with it upright (as they must physically touch/nearly touch the plate to warm up).

I'd only use a box (or cut out the floor and use the box as a surround) for maybe a week or two at most. They will try to jump out so a lid made of hardware cloth or bird netting stretched taut on a frame is recommended.

I like giving birds a boost when I get them, so Poultry Nutri-Drench, or packets of Sav-a-chick, is what I'd go with.

Back
Top Bottom