New Chicken (pullets) Momma

It looks like this. Now that I know they're babies I'm going to put a big cardboard box inside coop and keep them in that with heat,food and water. How long should I contain them in box? Until they start jumping on ledge? Now that I know they're babies do I add sugar to their water or electrolytes when they first arrive?
Thank you

If it doesn't have instructions to use it as a brooder plate -- which should include minimum ambient temperature information -- you can't trust it as a heat source for chicks.

With plenty of space to provide safety clearance, a secure means of hanging it (wire or chain, not the stupid clamp), and room to have the warm area and the cool area there is no reason not to use a heat lamp.

They are inexpensive at your local farm supply, where you can also buy a bulb that does NOT have a teflon coating.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-lamp-6-ft-cord?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...cent-r40-red-heat-lamp-reflector?cm_vc=-10005

The 250 red bulb is the most commonly used. I used lower-wattage reptile night bulbs to brood in warm weather. My lamp hung from a chain:
0523211146a_hdr-jpg.2684713

Having nice, large facilities allows for plenty of safety clearance.

While you need to confine them for the first week, do be sure to spread the space out every week. More space, more things to crawl on, hop on, get under, and get on top, just makes for healthier chicks.

Periods of much cooler temperatures for limited time periods is good for chicks too. As long as they can get back to a very warm spot, they will be fine.

Mrs K

If it doesn't have instructions to use it as a brooder plate -- which should include minimum ambient temperature information -- you can't trust it as a heat source for chicks.

With plenty of space to provide safety clearance, a secure means of hanging it (wire or chain, not the stupid clamp), and room to have the warm area and the cool area there is no reason not to use a heat lamp.

They are inexpensive at your local farm supply, where you can also buy a bulb that does NOT have a teflon coating.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-lamp-6-ft-cord?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...cent-r40-red-heat-lamp-reflector?cm_vc=-10005

The 250 red bulb is the most commonly used. I used lower-wattage reptile night bulbs to brood in warm weather. My lamp hung from a chain:
0523211146a_hdr-jpg.2684713

Having nice, large facilities allows for plenty of safety clearance.

Attachments

• Chicken Coop Heater.jpg
    Chicken Coop Heater.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
I have this 200W Radiant heater for their comfort. I have a large cardboard box and will put down pine shavings and paper on top of that. I have a feeder and a waterer. I will expand their area after the first week After the second week I should let them out of the coop and let them explore their run. The coop is big for babies so will section off a area and expand as they get bigger. By the time they are 2 or 3 weeks old they should go in and out is that correct? Good information and thinking of possibilities

You are golden PVILLAGO. Many times people come with very small set ups and that can cause a lot of problems, I was afraid of that, but not the case.

As for chicks, you will need a heat source, but do set it up so that there is a cool side and a warm spot. If you keep chicks too warm, it is harder on them as they move out of the brooder. I put the feed and water in the cold spot away from the heat lamp spot. They will move back and forth as needed.

Start them out in a smaller box, but quickly get them into a larger area. Personally, I get mine outside ASAP at least for part of the day. Fresh air and sunshine are good for chicks. And they are just like babies, come in, get under the heat lamp and they will take good naps.

Do be aware, that some chicks fail to thrive. Sometimes it happens, don't feel bad if it does, just take care of the others.

Mrs K
Thank you Mrs. K you are most helpful. I'm just scared. Now that they are almost here and I now found out they are babies and not teenagers it through me off my game plan. I have a automatic door but I am going to disable it until we are ready to take that journey in and out. I'm not sure when they reach that milestone but I think I am going to be a helicopter mom on this first go round until I learn what it's all about. I know my granny didn't stress over her chickies like I'm doing but I want to give them the best care and home.

Brooder plates are almost always mounted horizontal so that all the chickens can be in contact with the heat source at the same time.
x2. In the photo, there's more chicks than horizontal space along the bottom of the radiant plate when it's upright, so you're risking chicks getting pushed out and chilled, or even crushing one another in an attempt to get closer to the heat.

Back
Top Bottom